“Excellent food but lacking in style”

Uncle Jack’s Steakhouse Westside
Reserve with OpenTable
Uncle Jack’s Steakhouse Westside is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #753 of 13,684 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 34th Street
Transit: Penn Station and 1, 2, 3, A, C, E subways within two blocks. Walking distance to Port Authority bus depot and B, D, F, M, N, Q, R subways. Local bus lines.
Description: "The Best Steakhouse in New York City," where superior quality and obsessive dedication to craft are the norm. Said by many to have the best steak in New York, Uncle Jack's is proud to have served some of the world's most educated and discriminating food connoisseurs.Since its inception in 1996, Uncle Jack's has become legendary for unsurpassed consistency and quality. Serving the best steak in New York means featuring the finest USDA Prime Beef, cut to our exact specifications and aged between 28-35 days. World famous Kobe steaks, and a full menu of the finest foods available, are just a few more reasons why Uncle Jack's has become a steakhouse landmark without equal.
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Excellent food but lacking in style”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Dinner at the Ninth Avenue location.

This place was recommended to us by a colleague, but when we arrived we almost changed our minds. The area is distinctly third-rate and the outside of the restaurant was clearly designed to match. Garish, grubby and unwelcoming. But gritting our teeth we decided to take our colleague's advice.

We didn't have time for appetizers (which turned out to be a good thing!) so straight at the mains. My friend ordered Atlantic Salmon and I decided n one of the two "dishes of the day" and ordered a Cajun Style Sole. Over five minutes later the waiter returned to say that they were out of sole, so I changed to Rack of Lamb.

Our waiter was poor throughout the evening - never there when we needed him, and clearly more interested in hiding away somewhere than serving. We had been seated for ten minutes before he took our order, we had to ask a different water for a refill of water, and yet another waiter to get him to bring the check.

Finally our two dishes were brought to the table, and immediately my friend noticed after a single bite that his dish was not the Atlantic salmon he had ordered. Again it took a few minutes to locate our waiter who took the dish away and almost immediately replaced it with the correct dish. He was obviously amused by the rror because he laughed when he swapped the dishes rather than apologise, and I wonder if he took the wrong dish to the person who had ordered that without noticing that my friend had started to eat it!

My Rack of Lamb was in fact not a rack. The chops had been separated and fried/roasted in a crumbed batter rather than being served as a rack. Nevertheless the chops were sublime - perfectly cooked pink and the coating was absolutely delicious. There were EIGHT decent sized chops in the "rack" and I could manage to eat only four. For the first time ever I asked to take the remainder away with me and ate them the next day in my hotel room :-)))) They were just as wonderful the next day.

My friend's salmon was pronounced "superb", Both dishes were served with well-cooked vegetables.

Our wine was Pinot Grigio which was good but very expensive. Being short of time we passed on desserts and coffee. The meal for two ran out at $160 which is expensive for a single course with wine, but the tip was appropriately low at $15 LOL

In summary, the food was superb but the price, service and ambience left a great deal were well below that standard. I might go again just for that lamb!!!!

• Greek first
  • Korean first
Orlando, Florida
“Overpriced; needed a steakknife for my fielt mignon”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Unheard of - to have to saw your filet mignon with a steak knife! Not terribly tough, but certainly not the cut of meat they have listed. Low on the flavor side, I also utilized their home made steak sauce, which was "OK". Side dishes and service however, were excellent. Overall, I'm certain there are better, we should have made a more informed choice.

Visited June 2013
Iselin, New Jersey
“Great service and good food”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We were a party of 6 and went to this restaurant for lunch. Everybody ordered off the lunch menu and we got the food in 15 minutes which was what the server had told us when we ordered. The food was good, no complaints. I got the Kobe beef meatloaf. Good portion size and i was very full by the time I finished the meal. Really nice atmosphere, very high end. We were taken care of by an army of servers who took care of refilling our glasses, bringing back more bread and asking if we needed anything else. The main server was impeccably dressed and very very flattering. The women in my group loved the attention showered upon them by him. He was very knowledgeable about the menu and knew how to treat a customer. The extra point is for the service

New York City, New York
“Uncle Jack's Steakhouse Westside location... It's pretty dam good.”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I don't care what anyone below says, it was a great dining experience and the steak was good.
Was it pricey? Yes, but we knew that going in and so does everyone else. The staff was super nice and accomodating. Because he appears on the Food network, I was extra attentive in seeing how his staff acted and treated us. They did an excellent job of proving that what he demands on the show, is exactly the same quality of service you receive at his place. I overheard the Maitre D tell a waiter, "Table 6 is pouring their own wine, please get over there. (this was to another table not mine.) The waiter went over and poured their wine. One of our party received the smaller filet mignon. The waiter asked if she'd like to have it exchanged for the larger. He told her how long it would be, and when she said she would just take the one that was served he adjusted the price accordingly. He then came to the table with complimentary dessert for her.
Get the crab cakes, they were fantastic. Porterhouse and the filet mignon also great.Lobster and shrimp were as fresh as you could imagine, and great size. We went full gusto and we're glad we did. Salads, appetizers,sides, desserts, the whole nine! We are New Yorkers,(live less than 10 blocks from here) and we thoroughly enjoyed the dining experience here. This is not a tourist only steakhouse, which is important to us. I wonder why it took us so long. We are going for Brunch this coming weekend.

2 Thank KBeens
Valletta, Malta
“Beef Lovers Heaven”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

So glad we decided to go here, everything we ordered was super delicious from beginning to end. The service was excellent and the decor though it could do bit a bit more light was lovely. If you know and therefore like your beef, this place is def a must whilst in NY

• Visited May 2013