“Hip wait staff/ party atmosphere”
Review of Red Cat

Red Cat
Reserve with OpenTable
Red Cat is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #166 of 13,938 Restaurants in New York City
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Cross street: 23rd & 24th Streets
Transit: C or E Train to 23rd & 8th Avenue 1 or 2 on 23rd & 7th Avenue
Description: This Old Chelsea food hall is a New York original. The Red Cat's combination of come-as-you-are sensibilities and straightforward, satisfying, and occasionally irreverent cuisine instantly establish the restaurant as a favorite with New York diners. As Frank Bruni wrote in the New York Times, "The Red Cat feels vaguely colonial and tavern like, except when it feels downtown-gallery cool, and apart from those moments when it feels modestly and eclectically elegant." If you are unable to book online, please call us directly and we will do our best to accommodate you.
Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

Our waiter brought designer drinks and a wonderful array of all things meat - steak, lamb, and skate. All were great but nothing compared to the polenta. The place is typical for this part of NY, so get a reservation or expect a wait.

There are newer reviews for Red Cat

Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

Vibrant atmosphere rather compact dining room friendly staff. The food was tasty although a little fussy main could of been a little hotter, reasonably priced

Reviewed November 16, 2013

I had been once or twice a few years ago and was put off by the noise level, in spite of quite good food and service. This time I was in the area with a friend and decided to see if we could get in. There was a 20 minute wait, but I thought that quite good for Thursday 7pm at a highly rated restaurant. The table was near the overcrowded bar, but surprisingly not as noisy as I remember the table in the back I had last time I was there. Our waiter was friendly and knowledgeable about food and wine. They had an interesting list of wines by the glass-he gave me tastes of two that were both very good, but the grenache from Spain was the winner (and not overpriced). I started with a creative but simple dish of thin sliced zucchini, almonds, and olive oil, covered by thin slices of reggiano. The combination worked marvelously! My friend had a cauliflower soup that was perfectly spiced and very flavorful (and I usually don't like cauliflower). We both had salmon for the main course- mine was rare as requested with a crispy skin. There was an excellent light sauce with tasty mushrooms. We split an intense chocolate dessert. Really a great meal for a reasonable price.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Lovely decor, great food, strong delicious coffee and very good service. It is not on the typical tourist route. make reservations.

2  Thank knowitall_10
Reviewed November 2, 2013

The food was so good that they did themselves damage. No dessert so as not to lose the taste in my mouth. Friendly, polite service. What more is there?