“Lovely Spot!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Red Cat

Red Cat
Reserve with OpenTable
Red Cat is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #189 of 13,548 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Cross street: 23rd & 24th Streets
Transit: C or E Train to 23rd & 8th Avenue 1 or 2 on 23rd & 7th Avenue
Description: This Old Chelsea food hall is a New York original. The Red Cat's combination of come-as-you-are sensibilities and straightforward, satisfying, and occasionally irreverent cuisine instantly establish the restaurant as a favorite with New York diners. As Frank Bruni wrote in the New York Times, "The Red Cat feels vaguely colonial and tavern like, except when it feels downtown-gallery cool, and apart from those moments when it feels modestly and eclectically elegant." If you are unable to book online, please call us directly and we will do our best to accommodate you.
Toronto, Canada
“Lovely Spot!”
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

This is a great restaurant with a regular local crowd. The food is delicious, the service is spot on and the atmosphere is charming. The menu has a nice mix of meat and fish options and there is a separate vegetarian menu. Save room for dessert because they are worth the calories!

Visited September 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
New York
“What a fine choice!”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Recommended by a friend and it turned out to be a winner. A pleasant room. Very friendly service from the front door to the waiter to the servers. A nice selection on the menu supplemented by some specials and our dinners were just great (especially the pork chop). Just when we thought we were happily done, the dessert turned out to be fabulous. We ordered a pistchacio concoction over a brownie and topped by poured chocolate. Who cares about calories when it tasted this good. All of this for a somewhat expensive but typical New York price. We will be back.

1 Thank JoeRNY
St. Petersburg, Florida
“"Charming decor, fantastic food, great service"”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I went here with a friend on a recommendation. The host was very friendly...sometimes rare in NYC restaurants...and was very accommodating. The food was terrific. I had the calves liver and it was superb. The appetizer selection was limited but very good. We tried a few, and all were great. The atmosphere is casual and comfortable.

One of the highlights was a white burgundy that was suggested. It was truly one of the best I've ever had. We easily finished a bottle between the two of us!

The waiter was friendly and attentive...not always something you find in NYC.

It wasn't cheap, but it was definitely worth it.

Make sure you dine here if you're in the neighborhood. You won't be disappointed.

Boston
“Very nice -- small fish portion only complaint”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

A good looking room set just off the highline in the relative peace and tranquility of trendy Chelsea West.

My wife and I had a reservation and were greeted and seated promptly at a comfortable at the back of the room. The service was efficient and not intrusive but not overly engaging. The wine selection was good and the price not bad for NYC.

We had a nice crudite app and enjoyed our wine. I ordered a barbequed bluefish entre and my wife went for an organic roast chicken. The chicken was outstanding for such a simple dish. My bluefish was very nice but I'm not sure in what way it was "barbeque" as I'm quite familiar with both bluefish and barbeque. The only knock I could offer is that the small fish fillet might have been 5 ounces (2 in x 4 in). I wasn't looking for a huge portion but this was frankly tiny and bluefish ain't exactly sea bass in terms of price at the pier. It really stood out because my wife's chicken portion was very large, it really dwarfed the fish.

All that aside we had a very nice experience.

Visited September 2013
New York
“cute, comfy and delicious...”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I was treated to a surprise birthday dinner by my partner to The Red Cat, located in the Chelsea neighborhood. We had both talked about going there, but never got to it, lo and behold I was treated to a lovely dinner at The Red Cat.
The restaurant has an eclectic decor, coupled with the warmth of the wait staff it made for a lovely evening.
We were spoiled with an array of delicious offering son the menu and decided upon trying these dishes:
Italian Guacamole as a snack before our appetizers, basically its really a guacamole dip with 3 small bite sized toast. Ask for more toast or bread as I did not even get through the dip before the toast had all but gone.
As for our Apps we had:
Peach and Panchetta Risotto which was simply divine! the amount was just right for an appetizer size and you would never in a million years ream that Peaches could go so well with Panchetta in a risotto. then again it was sweet and salty, how wrong can you go?
Pumpkin Panzanella was another choice which was a bread salad tossed with Corn bread, roasted pumpkin, mixed greens and pomegranate. I opted out of the lemon vinaigrette as I am not a fan of dressings. The Salad as just as good.

For our entree:
Grilled Pork Chop, which had a coffee like rub that brought out the smoky flavor of the grill.
BBQ Bluefish, now this dish was a little bit disappointing as I was served the smallest piece of fish I have ever seen on plate ( it measured 1.5"x 4"x 1.5", I know my measurements lol) on top of a huge heaping pile of mashed potatoes. the fish was cooked to perfection but my palate wanted more, more,more...lol
Thankfully I ordered a side of Green beans lightly battered, basically a green bean tempura.
Dessert was a delicious Banana Sundae which was enough to share if you are stuffed, but of so delicious for just one person,served with toasted coconut.
The overall experience made me smile, service was attentive and very well coordinated so there was enough gap for conversation but not too long that we would be starving..lol
I suggest you go with your loved one or with a group of friends. this place is not trendy or a hot spot, but it's simply delicious, which is why we go out to eat.

1 Thank Milehighclub