“Understated and excellent”

Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: West Village
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Excellent new-American cooking. Especially the duck dishes. But the best thing about The Place is the quite-tolerable noise level. You can actually have a conversation, unlike most restaurants in the Village.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

Had dinner at the Place with a few friends and I love it!

I really like the atmosphere at the Place. It is a bit dark but very cosy. Perfect place for a dinner with friends and could be a romantic place for couples as well.

The food was tasty and I really like the starters!

I can't wait to come back to the Place for another nice meal!

Reviewed March 2, 2014

I have to start this review by saying The Place was wonderful. I chose The Place after reading many other reviews on this site. I was going to NYC to get engaged and I wanted the dinner to be perfect.
The Place worked with me from the start. I requested a table by the fireside. I let them know I would be engaged that day and they said I could have champagne brought to the table first thing when I got there! They we're friendly and helpful from the start.
On the day of dinner, our reservation was adhered to. We sat as soon as we arrived. Champagne and all. The owner came out and was very excited and even requested to see the ring he was so happy.
Service was prompt. They took our appetizer and dinner order so everything would flow smoothly. We had the calamari appetizer which was fantastic. We both had the 3 way duck and I can't tell you how good it was! Honestly, words can't describe it. There were just unique flavors that melded so well. For dessert we had the chocolate filo pie. Which was incredible as well. And I'm not even a big sweets guy.
Overall you can't beat the experience. The service was prompt and friendly. The food was amazing. The atmosphere was cozy and romantic. And even it's location was quaint. All for a great price. Especially considering you're in NYC. I would recommend The Place 1000 times over!

Reviewed February 16, 2014

My wife found The Place for our weekend in NY and it was a great find. Nice cozy atmosphere, good service and the food was excellent. Interesting menu items which are not typically found. I had the duck 3 ways - roasted breast, confit leg and dumpling (which was actually a pretty big ravioli) and they were all tasty. The scallop appetizer and the sweet potato raviolis (which actually looked more like dumplings) were both good too. Only complaint was that it was quite hot inside. On a snowy night, it felt good when we first stepped in, but was way too hot for the duration of the dinner. Other than that, no complaints and we'll definitely be back.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Stopped in for an early dinner. Spot is comfy and quiet with small tables very close together. Food was solid, not great. Lose points because very clear waitress was rushing us out to turn the table again. That's a turn off.