“Wonderful West Village Restaurant”
Review of The Place - CLOSED

The Place
Cuisines: American, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: West Village
Reviewed November 19, 2012

"The Place" was absolutely charming! All of the little rooms were cozy and had fireplaces. The wait staff was friendly and efficient. The menu was a great variety of soups, salads and seafood to start and there was a nice array of entree choices also. The food was all delicious but the best part of the meal was the dessert! I had read about the "baked phyllo dough filled with warm chocolate and served with homemade mint chocolate chip ice cream" on TripAdvisor and it sounded incredible. I am a chocoholic, and I must say that this was truly one of the best desserts I've ever had!
My only complaint about "The Place" would be the limited wine list. I like chardonnay and there was only one option, and unfortunately it wasn't very good. I appreciate the fact that the wine list wasn't overpriced, but I think the addition of a second, higher quality chardonnay would be welcomed. I'm sure there are many of us who would pay a bit more for a better bottle of wine to enjoy with our fantastic dinner.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

This is an ok restaurant in Greenwich Village, cosy and some would say on the romantic side. We were a party of six and most of my friends liked the food, I myself thought it ok but nothing special. The drinks were very good though. My main problem was with the fact, that the maitre let us stand for about 25 minutes in the drafty entrance to the bar and refused to let us sit at the table.... which was not occupied... because 2 of my friends were late and stuck in a traffic jam. He finally let us sit down after we promised to start eating before the arrival of the couple who was late. I did understand that they need the tables on a Saturday night, but letting us stand in the drafty entrance was enough for me to never go back to this restaurant.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Popped in for a late brunch on a weekday. They weren't too busy and we were seated immediately.

Lovely rustic-looking place with great food and service.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

My partner and were in NYC this past week and we had brunch at The Place on 20 and 21 October 2012. I found it in the 2012 Zagat Guide under "Sleeper" restaurants ( good food, but not well known) and we decided to give it a try.

First, the location of The Place is a destination in itself. West Greenwich Village is a very vibrant community that is full of shops, restaurants, and people watching. This is one of the finest areas of NYC. Nowhere is the accepting, eclectic, and open mindedness that is NYC more evident than it is here. Diversity is not just the norm-- it is outwardly celebrated.

The Place is a small charming restaurant in the lower floor of what appears to be a residential building. There is limited outside seating, which is below street level. It is casual and the staff were welcoming. It was a quiet, laid back place, where you can carry on a conversation without the need to scream like Patti Lu Pone in the original production of "Evita".
The food was quite good. We had the avocado toasts, the breakfast sandwich, and the eggs Benedict. It was well prepared, using organic ingredients. The brunch menu was not vast, as one would find in a NYC diner, but this allows The Place to focus on the food they do serve. We liked The Place so much that we went there for brunch the next day. On both days we came without reservations, but if you have a large number of people in your party, reservations would be a good idea.

Our experience was a perfect one and The Place is now our new place in the West Village.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

It's just like Duke Ellington put it - you leave NY, you ain't goin' nowhere. Same goes for the Place, somehow - there's no other place. The food, the West Village charm, the service, it's the tops! Alex, the owner, is especially charming.