“Excellent!”

Ranked #6,361 of 16,334 Restaurants in New York City
Neighborhood: Lenox Hill
Neighborhood: Lenox Hill
Reviewed October 29, 2017

We passed by this restaurant during our stay in NY in March 2016, without knowing if it was good or not and decided to give it a try. We were not disappointed!
Friendly staff, good service. Delicious sushis! Great value for money!
The sushis (and mochi ice cream) were so good that we actually returned two more times that week!

Date of visit: November 2016

Reviewed August 16, 2017

The sushi, soup & salads are always fresh and tasty. I have never had a negative experience. Mostly we do Carry Out but have eaten inside with the same great esperience.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed July 12, 2017 via mobile

I ordered the lunch chicken teriyaki bento box. The soup, salad and gyoza were good. It all ended when I got to the actual chicken portion of the dish. It was hard as a rock, absolutely disgusting and I couldn't even eat it. I can't even to begin to think about why- chicken isn't supposed to be hard. There are plenty of other Japanese places in the area- I would suggest checking them out instead.

Date of visit: July 2017
Reviewed April 18, 2017

This is my go to neighborhood sushi lunch spot for a $ 11.95 tasting lunch with miso soup, salad, dumplings, rice, California roll, and entree (Tempura or Salmon or Chicken or Negamaki). Pleasant staff too.

Date of visit: April 2017
Reviewed February 18, 2017

Atami Japanese Restaurant appears to be a pleasant place, but I needed to finish a report and decided to try a take out order from Amazon using an Amazon Prime account.

That went quite well -- the charges included the tip, and the order took only 47 minutes -- we are about seven blocks from the restaurant.

The food -- not so good. The hot and sour soup was very bland and I had to add quite a bit of mustard to give it some bite.

The mushrooms in the mushroom soup were excellent, but the broth had virtually no flavor and much too much salt.

The standard sushi package was really subpar -- the tuna was mushy, the rice flaccid, the other fish a bit past their prime.

Never again.