“Live Green, Eat Clean”

Cuisines: Healthy
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Description: Founded in 2007, sweetgreen is a destination for delicious food that's both healthy for you and aligned with your values. We source local and organic ingredients from farmers we know and partners we trust, supporting our communities and creating meaningful relationships with those around us. We exist to create experiences where passion and purpose come together.
Reviewed March 11, 2014

This quick service salad and wrap restaurant is strong on one particular practice among others, sustainability. Their food is organic and local, proteins are hormone free, antibiotic free and all-natural, they use 100% plant-based compostable packaging non derived from oil, and they use reclaimed and FSC certified materials in the construction of their store. Pretty impressive, huh?

I created my own salad with organic mesclun, local apples, mushrooms, raw beets and roasted sweet potatoes.

You can read my full review with photos at http://sprungonfood.com/2014/03/10/sweetgreen

Reviewed December 21, 2013

Being new to the "make your own salad" idea, the staff were friendly and helpful and let me sample a few things. The end result was amazing. The produce was fresh, it tasted great, and the portion was easily enough for two meals for me.
If I lived in NYC this would be somewhere I'd frequent. As it is, I'll definitely be making a return visit or two during my stay.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

Just to say, I totally agree with all the previous thoughts and superlatives that were given by the other contributors…
Its a great place, for everyone, but superb for vegetarians!

Reviewed October 31, 2013

Sweetgreen, a growing chain, has just opened a restaurant in New York City, only a few blocks from Penn Station. It specializes in salads and soups. (The lentil soup was fabulous.) The restaurants primarily use locally grown food to reduce its carbon foot print. Certainly, one of the best values in the area.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

I am a sucker for a salad places but there are so many that are ho-hum. Sweetgreen is new to NYC and is going to be a hit. I had the October Salad - a seasonal offering with mesclun greens, cilantro (a really tasty touch), apples, pears, cheddar cheese, candied pecans. Great combo. Can't wait to go back to try others. Also have create your own option for salads (base cost plus 4 add-ins from selected list and then other options for a fee), soups, frozen yogurt. Some of the menu offerings do have chicken or shrimp so non-vegetarians will be satisfied. Salads $7.35 to $10 and I guess the sky's the limit for create-your-own. My salad was hugely satisfying. I will be going back again and again.