“Great old school pub”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: Greenwich Village
Description: The SceneThe literary-minded tourists and the local lushes who haunt this joint on weekends know that Dylan Thomas may have been Welsh but it was the scotch that killed him. At the site of his debauched death, various portraits of the poet hang on the dark-paneled walls while indifferent regulars focus on the task at hand: The White Horse has stayed in operation since 1880 by serving its customers--before Thomas and after--one drink at a time.The FoodIn our health-conscious century, though, we know it's as likely to be the pub grub as the booze that does you in. Nonetheless, White Horse's full-flavored burgers, delectable grilled chicken sandwich and slab-cut fries are worthy of poetic excesses--and perhaps even early death. The appetizer classics, leaning heavily on the common denominator of "fried," range from excellent (amply stuffed potato skins and sharp jalapeno poppers) to uninspired (lukewarm buffalo wings).
Reviewed December 9, 2016

Don't come here if you're expecting anything other than a traditional pub experience. It looks like it hasn't changed in years, got good booze and regulars who all sit around and shoot the breeze.
The bar tender couldn't really give a damn about personal service, but obviously enjoys what he does and always seems to have a new story to spin. I only popped in en route to another place as I liked the sign. Ended up staying for a few hours.

1  Thank GLWayne
Write a reviewReviews (189)

Reviewed November 24, 2016

Having read several stories of the "White Horse Tavern" and it being a den of writers sharing epic stories and discussing literary masterpieces, I was a bit disappointed when I arrived to find it a hipster hangout with everyone who was sitting at a table wining about their service. I stepped up to the bar and found a seat at the end. The bartender quickly grabbed me a water and poured me a whiskey($12). Cash only was a sign on the mirror back bar... it's 2016, who does that anymore??? apparently the White Horse Tavern is keeping cash alive. I enjoyed my whiskey, but felt this bar could have been anywhere and the hipster crowd offered little in originality.

Reviewed November 15, 2016 via mobile

Major disappointment!!! I was excited to stop in here for drinks and a bite to eat due to the history. Sadly, it was literally the worst service I have ever had. Our waitress was awful, she took our initial drink order and appetizer order. The drinks took awhile but were fine. She never brought us refills or stopped to check on is after that. We tried to get her attention twice but no luck. The worst part is I saw her walk by and look at our empty drinks, continuing to ignore my attempt to get her attention. Our food was dropped off a long time after we ordered by another staff member. Again, new drinks never came. We also didn't even have plates. We had to eat our food off of paper napkins. We were all so annoyed by the time of waitress finally showed up we just asked for the check, paid and left. I have never left a bad review like this but this place really earned it. They weren't even busy so I can't think of any reason for such terrible service. It's a shame because the place has a lot of history and could really be something.

Date of visit: November 2016
Reviewed November 6, 2016 via mobile

Came here three years ago and enjoyed atmosphere and food. Disappointed when I brought family because food took 55 minutes for soup, tuna melt and skins. Tuna inedibly cold and had to be taken off bill but had to ask even after pointing it out. waitress didn't have authority. Poor for such an iconic place.

Date of visit: November 2016
Reviewed November 5, 2016

I usually stop in the White Horse when in town for a burger, cocktail or beer. A staple amongst all the trendy places. Not this time. Overpriced well bourbon that was probably close to one of the worst drinks I have ever had. I called out the bartender and he looked at the bottle and declared it was American whiskey. I asked which kind of whiskey, because I did not believe it was bourbon, and he pretty much blew me off. I finished the drink because I paid for it. Sorry, White Horse. If that was the whiskey that Dylan Thomas drank, then no wonder he died.