“Lunch with mom in a quaint bar”
Review of White Horse Tavern

White Horse Tavern
Ranked #4,319 of 13,937 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: West Village
Description: The SceneThe literary-minded tourists and the local lushes who haunt this joint on weekends know that Dylan Thomas may have been Welsh but it was the scotch that killed him. At the site of his debauched death, various portraits of the poet hang on the dark-paneled walls while indifferent regulars focus on the task at hand: The White Horse has stayed in operation since 1880 by serving its customers--before Thomas and after--one drink at a time.The FoodIn our health-conscious century, though, we know it's as likely to be the pub grub as the booze that does you in. Nonetheless, White Horse's full-flavored burgers, delectable grilled chicken sandwich and slab-cut fries are worthy of poetic excesses--and perhaps even early death. The appetizer classics, leaning heavily on the common denominator of "fried," range from excellent (amply stuffed potato skins and sharp jalapeno poppers) to uninspired (lukewarm buffalo wings).
Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

We were originally going to eat at the spotted pig down the street, but there was a wait and didn't have time. We were seated immediately with a window view. The service wasn't the best, but we weren't upset. We got what we ordered and once I got her attention, she attended promptly. I had the tuna melt. It was an average one. It could have been spicier. I also got the fries which were good with the sandwich. Mom got the kielbasa platter. She really liked it. I wasn't aware of the history, but it added character to the place. The window view was my favorite. I probably wouldn't return if I have more time on my next trip.

1  Thank Sarahe5682
There are newer reviews for White Horse Tavern

Reviewed November 11, 2013

For her literary themed birthday, my daughter wanted to visit White Horse Tavern, a frequent haunt of Dylan Thomas and other notable literai. We know this because we read about it, not because this was evident on our visit to the White Horse. Other than one or two tiny plaques on Dylan Thomas, the average tourist may not be aware of the literary, bohemian history of White Horse. We wanted to have lunch and a couple of drinks, but our waitress was apathetic, bordering on rude. When we stated that we were there for the literary vibe, instead of contributing a little history of the tavern (the bar wasn't crowded), she just shrugged and feigned ignorance. Very different from the waitstaff at City Tavern in Philly (under separate review). The White Horse Tavern needs to educate their waitstaff to be more friendly and make visitors aware of the difference between the average tavern and the White Horse. Due to this apathetic service, we just ordered one drink a piece (bloody mary and a beer, both of which were good, hence the average rating instead of poor), but we did not stay for lunch.

2  Thank toadsoup
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Food was typical pub stuff. Service fine. Typical prices. But just knowing and seeing the history is well worth it.

1  Thank Quiet_Mike_11
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I had the eggs Benedict and my husband ordered the homemade hash and eggs. Both were very tasty and perfectly cooked. We sat outside in the shade which was quite enjoyable. My only complaint is that I was never given a refill of coffee which was very needed!

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Stopped in for a late drink and in typical New York fashion it was still crazy busy with people just sitting down for dinner at 11:30pm.

Next time I'll have dinner - menu looked great.