“Great brunch venue”
Review of Blue Ribbon Bakery Kitchen - CLOSED

Blue Ribbon Bakery Kitchen
Cuisines: American, International
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: West Village
Cross street: Bedford Street
Transit: ACE/BDFM Trains to West 4th Street or 1 Train to Houston Street
Description: Blue Ribbon Bakery Kitchen is a West Village neighborhood favorite and destination restaurant. Restaurateurs Bruce and Eric Bromberg discovered in 1995 a 140 year-old wood burning brick oven and lovingly restored it and built Blue Ribbon Bakery Kitchen around it. We now proudly operate the only existing wood fired brick bread oven in New York City using methods learned from our time at Poilane Bakery in France, including challah, matzoh, and classic french baguettes. Our menu is eclectic and varied. Menu highlights include our award-winning Fried Chicken, Grilled Lamb Chops, Beef Marrow, locally caught fish and whole roasted pasture-to-table animals prepared in our brick oven, as well as a broad offering of lighter fare. At the heart of each Blue Ribbon Bakery experience is the wood-burning oven that sends the smell of freshly baked bread throughout the dining room. Don’t leave without walking downstairs to see the bakers in action.
Scotch Plains
“Great brunch venue”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

We enjoyed a birthday brunch at blue ribbon which as always was a lively place! The food is reliably good, although this time was not piping hot. We recommend the challah French toast! Yum!
They have a variety of coffees, lattes, etc and their hot chocolate is excellent. Try their chocolate bread pudding a la mode!!

• Visited February 2014

Boston, Massachusetts
“So close to perfection, and an outstanding experience.”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

New Year's Eve dinner, a show and watch the ball drop in Times Square (on TV!)

Every year for the past 20 years three couples have been gathering, we go out for dinner, a show (sometimes a Movie) and then watch the ball drop ... on TV. 20 years ago we used to go to Tines Square, but now too cold.

In any event this year we saw an off broadway show Buyer Cellar a terrific one man show about the hypothetical mall Barbra Striseand has in the basement of her house to store all her possessions. Excellent.

But I am getting ahead of myself, we went first to the the Blue Ribbon Bakery Kitchen on Downing Street in the West Village. We had a provate room downstairs opposite the 135 year old brick oven. The server told u s that the building was an old tenement building and was restored byt he chef/owners. he atmosphere was great the breads terrific, the only issue was that three of us wanted the Rack of Lambspecial and there were only two left. So we ordered the two specials that were left and the rest of the group ordered other menus items, appetizers, soups etc.

We sort of lost track of time enjoying the appetizers, the bread (oh did I mention that the breads were outstanding and they kept bringing them). So onto the main course. everything was unbelievably delicious, except the specials, which turned out to be very fatty. We finished and had to runt o the show and told the server the issue with the special, she immediatley came back apologizing and removed one of the specials from our bill. .

Outstanding customer servic, we did not ask for any accommodation and yet she decided to enhance our experience by doing this.

So I give them a five because they went out of the way to make the experience memorable.

I and our group, will definitely come back and look forward to eating here and at some of the other Bromberg Brother restaurants.

My compliments to the staff and the Brombergs for creating such a great dining experience.

• Visited December 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“RUDE BEYOND BELIEF”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I can't attest to the food, but I still think potential diners should be aware that they may get seated in the basement, that's right basement.

I had a reservation and there were two tables on top, and yes they were for 4 but there were other people who were just party of 2 at the same type of tables.

I was told I would have to sit in the basement with a reservation and on top of it I was warned that the table most likely won't suit my needs. Yup he was right, I don't do basements, especailly for fried chicken.

This place needs to get over itself. Empires are built and they fall too. NYC is very fickle with restaurants. One min you are on top the next you are "closed".

We are not kids and we certainly were dressed nicely.

The claim to fame is fried chicken, get over yourself. Basement, NYC known for it's rat population? Not to mention the stairs which I have an issue with (health).

I did not eat, I turned around walked out and asked my driver to bring the car back and went to Da Silvano where you get treated with respect.

What if someone doesn't know there are stairs and a basement, and doesn't mention "issues", they go and then ca't eat? Who wants to eat in a basement to begin with?

So many other choices to think about vs a basement

• Visited October 2013
London, Ontario, Canada
“Great Saturday Brunch”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

LOVED the Blue Ribbon Bakery. We were one of the first people in the restaurant on a drizzly Saturday morning, August 3rd I had the eggs bene and my husband had the shrimp eggs bene. they were both delish. The assortments of fresh bread were overwhelming at first. Which one should I choose? Try them all. Fantastic.
The BEST music played while we ate. Thank you for a great experience.

• Visited August 2013
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
“Great Place”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Had brunch here.. Nice find the staff were great .. Noticed that the breads were excellent an the kind waiter proceed to explain the modus of this eatery. They have the one an only true wood oven still in existence in the whole of New York . We were given a great guided tour by the baker. It transpires that they supply many restaurants in the area with their delicious breads. Food wise I had standard bacon an eggs which was good but the breads were stand outs . So impressed I i will go back to sample their other dishes . I think we will not be disappointed as what we saw looked really good an considering the passion shown by staff an the baker I am sure they know what they are doing. Well worth a visit a true gem ..

• Visited September 2013