“Excellent sandwiches”

Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: West Village
Cross street: Bedford Street
Transit: ACE/BDFM Trains to West 4th Street or 1 Train to Houston Street
Description: Blue Ribbon Bakery Kitchen is a West Village neighborhood favorite and destination restaurant. Restaurateurs Bruce and Eric Bromberg discovered in 1995 a 140 year-old wood burning brick oven and lovingly restored it and built Blue Ribbon Bakery Kitchen around it. We now proudly operate the only existing wood fired brick bread oven in New York City using methods learned from our time at Poilane Bakery in France, including challah, matzoh, and classic french baguettes. Our menu is eclectic and varied. Menu highlights include our award-winning Fried Chicken, Grilled Lamb Chops, Beef Marrow, locally caught fish and whole roasted pasture-to-table animals prepared in our brick oven, as well as a broad offering of lighter fare. At the heart of each Blue Ribbon Bakery experience is the wood-burning oven that sends the smell of freshly baked bread throughout the dining room. Don’t leave without walking downstairs to see the bakers in action.
Reviewed March 5, 2012

This place was a great find, but I can't claim it... One of the people in our group had recommended it and we were not disappointed. The sandwiches, soups and salads were excellent.
Everything is fresh here and they were baking bread downstairs and it smelled excellent. I had the chicken sandwich and it was on of the best sandwiches I have had.

Nice wine and cocktails list and everyone in our large group loved their lunch.

Reviewed February 26, 2012

We stumbled upon this spot while meandering from soho to west village, and popped in for a late Sunday brunch. The atmosphere is easy and comfortable, and feels very local versus touristy. The service was excellent, very friendly and attentive to details. The food was medium priced, simple yet unique menu options. Tasted good, wouldnt rave about it, but definitely tasted fresh and hit the spot. The dinner menu looked interesting but can't speak for any of it. They could use a more appealing dessert menu. I would go back if in the area.

Reviewed January 9, 2012

Simply fantastic. If I didn't live a 20+ minute taxi ride away, I would be a regular.

The menu is definitely eclectic, but I've yet to try anything that was not outstanding. It's well-suited to ordering small plates or to a standard appetizer-main sequence. I've eaten brunch there once, but remember dinner more vividly, as I've had it several times and more recently; both were good. Unfortunately, they appear to have removed or changed my favorite dishes since I last ate there, but stand-outs were:

Sea bass (I don't know what's in that white sauce, but I could drink a pitcher of it)
Duck Confit
Matzoh ball soup
Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding (Ineffable.)

The wine list is not huge, but is pretty solid. I generally order their chardonnays and have not yet been disappointed. The bartender knows what he's doing, and makes a mean negroni.

The atmosphere is conducive both to dates and to small groups, and I believe they may have a back room for larger groups. They do not take reservations for groups under 6, but it's worth calling to check the wait. Sitting upstairs (street level) is definitely preferable, although may be tricky if you're more than 4 people.

Oh, and the bread! The "bakery" in the name is not simply for show. The bread is fresh, varied, and delicious.

I cannot recommend this place highly enough.

Reviewed December 30, 2011

came here in March and returned in September, as the service and ambience of this small neighbourhood wine bar. a great range of wines by the bottle and by the glass, with seating around the bar for small tapas plates. great if you're jetlagged and don't want a heavy meal, but want to get out and get a taste of the city.

Reviewed December 4, 2011

We've been going there for years, and it has held up beautifully. We celebrated my partner's 40th birthday there 7 years ago, and decided to go back this visit. It was everything we remembered, and more. Recommend trying a Rye Old Fashioned from the bar - seriously considered going back just for a drink the second night it was so good.