“Great new addition to the UWS”
Review of Burke & Wills

Burke & Wills
Reserve with OpenTable
Burke & Wills is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,421 of 14,032 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Great drinks, great hh ( 2 for 1 drinks). The old fashion is really good, but I wish they were a little bigger (huge ice cube). They have $1 east coast oyster for hh, which aren't great. The sliders are great though. I wish they had more food for happy hour. Also, check out the manhattan cricket club upstairs if you get a chance.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

I was intrigued by the thought of an Australian restaurant on the Upper West Side (suggested by my hotel). Menu not extensive, but interesting, with a modern Australian flavour, including kangaroo! A number of small plates good for sharing, or for a light meal for one. The lamb sliders were very tasty. And then there were tiny, beautifully moist lamingtons for dessert! I was a solo diner on a busy night, without a reservation, but the staff were friendly and welcoming and the service good. When they discovered that I was Australian, and knew about lamingtons, I was brought another serve with their compliments! Wine list good and prices reasonable. It is certainly on my list of great restaurants to visit again when next in New York.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

My boyfriend and I came to Burke and Wills looking for "Sunburnt Calf", however we were surprised to see that Sunburnt Calf was under new management. We were greeted by a friendly bartender who explained to us that the menu has changed. Burke and Wills no longer offers bottomless drinks! Instead for $15/person in addition to the entree, we would be served 4 mimosa, bloodymary, etc. Unfortunately, there were no open seats when we arrived so the bartender offered us a drink on the house for the trouble of sitting at the bar. I really appreciated this gesture. A few minutes later, we were seated. The table was shaky so the bartender proceeded to place a foreign object underneath one of the table legs. Although, I didn't mind this gesture, I felt that this was unprofessional and it wasn't a great first impression.

I ordered the Mushroom Leaky Omelet which was very unique and tasty. The portion was small, but the drinks made up for it. Unfortunately, after the third drink, the waiter's service slowed down significantly. My boyfriend and I spent a total of 3 hours here in laughter and conversation. Our bill came to $60 (for two people) excluding tax.This is a fun place to go for Sunday brunch once in a while.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

The safari ticket for $15 is the move. Low key place with a great bartender. The food won't be the best meal you've ever had but its very good. Its a fun place to go on Sunday with friends.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

I had dinner Burke & Wills with two friends last night. Searched for a low-key place on the Upper West Side within the New York magazine listing? Their critic gave it a very strong review, so that was good enough for me. First of all, the place was less rustic than the website implies. Yes, the bar area is chicken-wire-cool, but overall the decor is much plusher and more comfortable than expected. We were greeted warmly by the hostess and lead to our banquette without waiting (granted, it was 7:15, and ,clearly this is a place that comes to life as the evening wears on; it's open until 2). We started with a couple of specialty drinks, one featuring vodka and hibiscus (wonderful) and the other, a margarita using smoked agave. Very smoky flavor which I found overwhelming. We shared several dishes including lamb sliders (spicy and juicy on potato rolls), kale salad (no big deal) followed by a'roo burger (as in KANGAROO! Who knew?!), steak, cod and a pasta. All were very tasty, including the marsupial. Couldn't wrap my mind around it but it was excellent, with a rich tomato "salsa" and fresh greens. Both steak and burger had sides of a steak fry, which was crisp on outside and tender on inside. We finished up with a dessert, not their strong suit. We were presented with a delicious little cake-bite after the meal. It featured strawberry preserves, and a dusting of coconut.
Be sure to ask to see the "speakeasy" upstairs. An opulent series of rooms featuring a bar. Would be an amazing place for a date.