“Below average”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed April 1, 2012

Went for dinner with friends, it was not busy all at actually somewhat empty. Service was poor and not to mention the food. The quality of the food including the presentation leaves a lot to be desired. Next time you walk in to an empty restuarant it is not rocket science the place is dead for a reason. Pizza we had was plain no taste at all. The seafood pasta was bland, how can you mess up a basic dish like this. Tasteless will best describe the entire meal. Did not want to take a chance with dessert, paid and left.

Reviewed January 12, 2012

I know this review is long due. Dean's had always been one of my family's favorite restaurants and had frequently ordered/dined there. But my experience from back in Feb 2010 changed my opinion. Not only was the food bad, but the service was atrocious. Here is what happened:

We decided to dine at Deans that day in spite of the inclement weather. Deans is always known for its authentic Italian food, great ambiance, and impeccable service. However, that day our waitress (Veronika Jukic) was not only rude, but she did not make any effort to accommodate our needs and our dining experience. As we walked in and decided to order a salad, I requested her if she could replace cheese in the Caesar Salad with tomatoes. Very bluntly she replied that they don't do replacements. Being a vegetarian, I requested my usual "Penne ala vodka" with mushroom instead of pancetta. She said the new chef does not do any replacements. We explained that we have ordered this multiple times over the past 3-4 years from Deans and never had any problems. But she refused to listen. We ordered the pasta without pancetta. When the food arrived, the pasta was not al-dente. It was over-cooked, breaking into pieces, and double in size. It is a shame for any Italian restaurant if the pasta is over-cooked. We decided not to make a fuss due to the waitress's attitude (we should have). At the end we informed the waitress that the pasta was over-cooked and her response was "I warned you". We said she had warned us about the new chef and not about the service and her response was "It wasn't me who ordered this food". I was shocked and dumbfounded at the rudeness and attitude. Instead of apologizing and trying to make us feel better, she just left. We weren't even asked if we wanted dessert. We asked her for a comment card, and she said to just go online. My cousin wrote a long note about the service of the restaurant, but she simply trashed it.

I must say Deans lost a loyal customer (we warned all our friends as well). Its hard to believe that the new chef does not know how to make the pasta al-dente. In addition, they were not accommodating for vegetarian people. And to top it all, the waitress was impudent and discourteous.

We were so shocked and disappointed that we even wrote an email to deansnyc@msn.com complaining about their service, but the email was ignored and no response was received. I wish I had written a review on Trip Advisor 2 years ago, but I wasn't a member yet. Stay away from Dean's - at least the location on 2nd avenue.

Reviewed December 30, 2011

I work close to Dean's. I have been there twice in the last months and both times I left the place frustrated and upset because of the poor service. The first time, the young lady served us with such an attitude that my husband did not even want to leave a tip, which we did anyway (I thought that anyone can have a bad day, even though people making a living on tips should think twice before letting their mood affect their working day). We were treated rudely -- it was as if the young lady was doing us a favour to serve us -- and were left with dirty plates in front of us for a long time, before being able to ask for the check and before the dishes were finally cleared. Yesterday, I went again by myself. Interestingly, the same young lady passed at least twice by my table and completely ignored me. When I realized that I could have been waiting for a long time (and the place was not even full), I called her and complained and she was apologetic from that moment on. A man who looked like the manager saw the whole scene, but did not intervene. I really wonder which concept people managing and waiting in New York restaurants have of "clients", since unfortunately the rudeness is quite common. They should remember that ultimately they have a business or job because of clients -- people like me, who regularly eat out -- who don't want to be treated as if they were receiving a favour when they are paying for a service. Soon after this last lunch at Dean's - I had pasta with clams - my stomach was upset and I had to leave work because I was not doing well. Food poisoning on the top of the poor treatment?

Reviewed December 18, 2011

We had the eggplant parmagiana and a caesar salad with chicken. Hard to ruin a salad, but the eggplant was soggy and bland. Cannoli for dessert was tasty but the pastry was tough and the filling was too runny. The real issue was the service. Our waiter could not have been less interested in serving us. Our meal apparently interfered with his television-watching as he stood, arms folded, watching TV just behind my husband's chair for almost our entire time in the restaurant...even when we were waiting for service from him. Example, we ordered beverages, he took the order and went to stand in his spot watching TV. Eventually he got around to delivering our beverage order. At every point of the visit, no matter what we needed, he would take the order or request and move back to his "spot" and continue watching TV. All I can figure is he is the owner's son or something...who else could get away with that and not be fired?

Reviewed November 2, 2011

Maybe I caught them with newer staff working but the waitress I had seemed either shy or tired or maybe both. Didn't know the menu well for one thing. Anyway that's the negative but the food was as good as I was told it was. Good thin crust pizza and really very good pasta fagiola. Worth the price of admission. The pictures of Dino and the rat pack added to the dark wood decor and the. Classy yet not overpriced feel of the place. I will return.