TripAdvisor
New York City
Post
Inbox
Search

“If you are in New York's finest steak restaurant don't order the chicken!”
Review of Delmonico's

OR
Order Online
Ranked #320 of 16,733 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Financial District
Cross street: William & South William
Transit: N,R,Z,3,4,5 trains
Description: America's first fine dining restaurant, Delmonico's has been serving fine American food to New York's connoisseurs in its premier location at the heart of Manhattan's financial district. Since opening at 56 Beaver Street in 1837, Delmonico's has been renowned as the birthplace of the Delmonico Steak, Delmonico Potatoes, Eggs Benedict, Lobster Newburg, and Baked Alaska. Upon opening, the original Delmonico's offered then-unheard of luxuries such as private dining rooms, an extensive wine cellar, innovative cuisine, and, above all, warm, personal service. Today, the restaurant continues to honour its heritage with the same warm hospitality and fine cuisine. Delmonico's menu features a range of traditional dishes in addition to the prime Delmonico Steak, aged to perfection in the aging room. Having introduced many dishes and dining customs to America, to dine at Delmonico's is to experience history.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I have to thank British tv chef James Martin for this "recommendation" , Delmonico's featured in both his book and show, "James Martin's American Adventure"
Firstly , let me say the taxi driver dropped us off at the back door at the bar & grill entrance attached to the main restaurant and we were slightly confused when we went inside to a noisy bar.
Through the bar and grill up a few stairs to a room that just oozed "class".
We were seated in minutes and introduced to a magnificent waiter named Alexander, who never rushed us at all. This was going to be an evening to savor!
A couple of glasses of french champagne to start. Let me say here, and it isn't a complaint, the Americans certainly know how to charge for wine by the glass.
A basket of assorted breads appeared as if from no where.
For starters we ordered charred octopus and seared scallops , which my wife and I mixed and matched. They were superb.
For our main course we both had steak, well you don't go into NYC's reputedly finest steak restaurant and order chicken do you?
My wife had a Filet Mignon, I had the trademark Delmonico steak.
Both were cooked to perfection. we had sauteed mushrooms and whipped potato as sides, washed down with an excellent Turnbull Cab. Sauv recommended by Alexander.
We were celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary and Delmonico's kindly shouted us desert, but I had to pay for my own 16 yo Lagavulin.
All in all we had a perfect night in a sensational restaurant in a magnificent city.
It is a long journey from Australia to New York, i would do it again just for Delmonico's

Date of visit: August 2019
2  Thank michaelmM421JS
Write a reviewReviews (970)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The best steak i ever ate, the delmonico potatoes are amazing. The staff are world class. If you are lucky enough to dine here you will agree with this review.

1  Thank chetndeb
Reviewed September 8, 2019

I had a group of 30 attend an event at Delmonico's and we had a great experience. The food was fantastic, and the price was reasonable! Overall, my whole party loved the venue, the food, and the service. Great bucket list item to check off and to dine at a place that saw and made American History!!

Reviewed September 8, 2019 via mobile

Delmonico’s has a nice atmosphere and the staff was nice upon entering. The problems began with the table service. I ordered the shellfish cocktail (supposedly shrimp, crab, lobster) but it arrived without shrimp. I did get the shrimp after asking; however, it seems at a place like this I shouldn’t have to ask. Furthermore, the shellfish cocktail was not particularly good. My wife and I ordered the lobster and an aged ribeye steak with some sides and a bottle of nice wine. My wife’s lobster arrived Newberg style (and I specifically guarantee she didn’t order it that way). The waiter should have never made an assumption or mistake like that; if there was uncertainty he should have returned to ask. My wife asked if they could prepare it steamed anew. The waiter said “well, they can put it back in the water for a couple of minutes to rinse it off”. Let me say this a TERRIBLE approach. First, the newberg taste remained. Second, when the lobster returned it was over done and rubbery. We didn’t feel like kicking up too much fuss when we were trying to enjoy a nice night out. In retrospect, I should have demanded a new order or asked to speak with the manager.
Generally the server was inattentive after we received our entrees. For a $600 meal after tip, I have to say we were very disappointed. We will not return. And I suggest that anyone looking for a fine dining experience should seek a different restaurant.

5  Thank casualdiner90
Reviewed September 7, 2019 via mobile

Haven’t been here in many years but I took a colleague out as a thank you and let them pick the venue

The entree I chose was branzino which was served hot and it was a great portion. It came with mushrooms and I expected a few for flavoring but it was covered which surprised me because mushrooms and fish have the same texture so I pushed them aside and enjoyed the fish. My colleague ate a steak and said it was very very good

Service was great to begin with when we arrived at noon but as the restaurant got busier we couldn’t get much attention

The decor and lighting of the place is very dated and busy. With so much going on with paintings and patterns I would have felt more comfortable with dimmer lighting as it was dizzying

Date of visit: August 2019