“Almost german” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Heidelberg Restaurant

Heidelberg Restaurant
Ranked #1,305 of 13,481 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: German, European, Central European
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Special occasions, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Miami
“Almost german”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

Nice beer and food, even if some plates aren't German at all, some local creations like chicken paprika! Crowded friday evening but the staff was able to handle.

Visited March 2014

New York City, New York
“One of three remaining vestiges of German town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

Heidelberg has been in business since the 30s when the area was predominantly German. It is one of the few German restaurants in NYC. The food is quite good, particularly the saurbraten, the goose and the schnitzel. The beer selection is impressive. Service is up and down - sometimes excellent, sometimes just acceptable. If you have a craving for German food and a bit of NYC history, go. There is also an excellent German butcher- Schaller and Weber next door.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Michael C
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina, USA
“Average German Food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Had lunch on a weekday. Food was good, but not great. I had the weinersnitzel, which was very good. My wife had the goulash which was ok, but was a very small portion. The prices were reasonable, but portions were a little small. Service was very good and atmosphere was nice.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Oysterman2013
New York City, New York
“Great food, mediocre service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

If you're looking for authentic German cuisine on the Manhattan's Upper East Side, then you've come to the right place. I might even go as far to rate it as the best German fare in NYC. The service is a little underwhelming. My friends and I all arrived promptly yet the staff seemed in no hurry to seat us despite numerous open tables that would have worked for our party. Overall, it was a fun night and the family ownership atmosphere definitely added to our experience.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Port Chester, NY
“Finally Made it Here... and will be back.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

After watching the NYC marathon this year, we were looking for a place to eat. We turned the corner and there was the Heidelberg! I've heard about the Heidelberg from my family, who would go once a year or so but I never had been until now.

The Warsteiner was cold and crisp and served in a stein that fit nicely in my hand :-) We started with the camembert. The combo of the onion, pear with cranberries & cheese were very pleasing. I had the weiner schnitzel & my friend had the schnitzel a la Holstein. We wanted to try a little bit of the sides so we also had potato pancakes & spatzel. Both of us enjoyed are meals, and had leftovers to take home, as we wanted to try dessert as well. I had the palatschinken with nutella. It was ok, but I probably would have been better off with the apricot marmalade. My friend had the the streudel & ice cream which was a perfect finish.

The staff was pleasant and accommodating. I just felt very comfortable in this restaurant.

I'm so glad we "happened upon" the Heidelberg. I will definitely go back with friends, and would love to check it out around the holidays, as I hear the decorations are beautiful. Prosit!

• Visited November 2013