“Interesting”

Cuisines: Greek
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I had read some recommendations for this restaurant so had the address with me. That was a good thing because it is somewhat off the beaten path and in a basement. Walking down what appeared to be Columbia's version of frat row, we spied it across the street. It was very late for lunch on a Monday and it appeared to be closed when we walked in because no one was there but the waiter assured us they were open and brought us menus.
We split a half carafe of decent white Greek wine and my daughter and I had "The Symposium"---an interesting platter of various spreads with pita bread, cucumbers and dolmadakia as well as tomatoes, olives and peppers. Frankly, I could not identify all the spreads. They were each good but the texture got a little monotonous after awhile. We probably should have ordered one of these and one traditional salad to share.
The service was very nice and accommodating, especially considering we had were there during their down time. The price was reasonable for NYC.

1  Thank frauduck

Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

I went there with three other friends and we had a horrible experience. The waiter started off by throwing (literally) plates and glasses on the table, then he left for a whole half an hour before coming back to ask if we had already ordered. Of course at that point we had already asked another waiter to take our orders. The dish I had was spaghetti and meatballs. The meatballs were obviously days, if not weeks old and they charge $11 for five balls and spaghetti. My stomach is still constipating (no kidding) as I am writing this review. My friends had the gyros which cost $14 each and they told me they weren't great either. To make our horrible experience complete, the waiter brought out the check barely after we had got our food (which took 30 minutes to come out). I can't believe this place has gone down so much over the year. Still, it's sufficient to decide to never come back again.

Reviewed December 14, 2012

The menu here is full of amazing art, each page is it's own visual experience! Eating here is like going back in time, in a good way. The potato dip had a lot of garlic in it, and was so tasty. The eggplant dip was great as well, both served with warm pita. The moussaka was awesome, and the sides were cooked to perfection. This place isn't the Ritz, and they know it, the food looks very homestyle, like something your grandma would make. The staff was very friendly, I can't wait to go back.

3  Thank SFTexan
Reviewed April 27, 2012

This place was so small right in the campus but the food was good. The price was even better-the lunch special was all less than $9. They have the most arty menu I've ever seen. The ceiling inside was filled with the paintings. Made us feel like we were Columbia students.

Reviewed March 10, 2012

i remember the first time i went there. had chicken shishkebab and egg lemon soup. which was great. that was September 1973. and i have been going back ever since even though i live out of town now. it is a favorite refuge in the Columbia University area that i return to like a fish migrating back to its origins! the food is plentiful and delicious and freshly cooked and is a great value and there are magical indecipherable Greek writings and vignettes on the menus and on the walls. Columbia neighborhood is a favorite placed to visit for out of town family and friends.. and GUESS where we always eat ! Enjoy your visit to the restaurant and have some authentic Greek dishes !