“The worst meal ever in New York”

Jim Brady's Restaurant
Ranked #4,518 of 14,199 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Irish
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Financial District
Reviewed February 22, 2011

Over the last couple of years I have stayed in NY's financial district on business for a total of about 10 weeks, and a number of evenings I have had dinner in the area. I have been to Jim Brady's before and found it adequate, and gave it a try again last night.

Never again, though.

I have to say it was the worst meal I have had in New York, and, I think, the first "1" rating I have given over many reviews on this site.

The jumbo shrimp cocktail consisted of limp lettuce, a nothing sauce, and four insiped, hardly jumbo, just defrosted shrimps - still almost freezing and watery.

I am far from being the best cook in the world but I can, at least, manage to not over cook salmon. Sadly, the same cannot be said of Jim Brady's cook (cannot believe this meal was prepared by a "chef"), unless of course salmon should be dry and tasteless.

For $55 including tax and tip, and a couple of beers, you can do much much better in this city.

Avoid

1  Thank gloandbob

Reviewed November 29, 2010

Very pleasant inside and exemplary service. Food was good (steak with mash and greens) and excellent dessert (fruit crumble). Worth dropping in if downtown and a good selection of Beer also.

Reviewed October 3, 2009

I go to this place regularly, which is saying a lot in a city like New York since there are so many choices.

The menu is basic (fish + chips, salmon, steak, burgers) but always top-notch. The staff are friendly and the service is very personal. Like the bar in "Friends" if it were set in Dublin. . .

1  Thank tullaman
Reviewed June 23, 2009

This place has been around a long time and it shows because the place itself is a bit worn. The food prices are fair to high for what is being served. It does accomodate large groups which is a plus.

Reviewed January 29, 2009

Jim Brady's really sticks out in the Financial District as being a neighborhood bar and as I'm orginially from the UK, I would compare it to your favourite local pub that is second only to your own living room. From the minute you walk in, you are welcomed at the bar and the traditional decor with wood finishes really give the feeling of a warm, cosy Irish pub. It is a mix crowd of locals, tourists and the financial workers. The times I have been in, I have often ended up meeting people from abroad or just people who live across the road! The food is great, you can eat at the bar or in the cosy booths that line the restaurant. My husband is particulary keen on the Irish Stew and Shepards Pie, I like the big salads and scallop specials. Food is well priced and the service from the waitresses exceptional. I would highly reccommend Jim's as they always make you feel so welcome and I leave with a smile (although that could be the amount of alcohol drunk!)

1  Thank gcoopernyc