“On a par with the best bbq in New York City”

Daisy May's BBQ USA
Ranked #3,435 of 13,684 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Midtown
New York City, New York
“On a par with the best bbq in New York City”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I have eaten at Virgil's in Times Square and Sylvia's in Harlem, and Daisy May's is definitely on a similar level in terms of quality. Now of course as you would expect with the name, they focus strictly on bbq - you won't find catfish here. But they do have some interesting twists. I had the smoked barbecued turkey leg, and it was perfectly cooked, and succulent - I should've gotten two!

I like the sweet tea, although you definitely should water it down with some ice, because it is quite concentrated.

As for the dining room, it is minimal - this is mostly a take-out joint. But I found the atmosphere there lots of fun. I heard some visitors from the south talking about how much they enjoyed the food, which to me is the ultimate compliment when you are talking about bbq!

• Visited July 2013

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“True American BBQ !!!!!!”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I saw this restaurant in between an episode of Man vs Food where a guy was explaining how good the famous "Oklahoma Beef Rib" was !!!!

I decidied to give the restaurant a visit whilst in New York recently. From the outside it doesn't look like much and the inside tables look like your sitting in the back of someones garden but this all adds to the experience. I ordered the famous Oklahoma Beef Rib $30 (steep for a rib I thought) then I saw it !!!!!!!! I also ordered some sides and pulled pork sandwich for my partner.

The Rib was truely monsterous and after handing huge chunks of out to my other 3 friends I still couldn't finish it. As a dining experience it was one I'll find hard to match I think

I urge anyone visiting this restaurant to order the Oklahoma Beef rib if they dare....... Be prepared to share it though

Tip - The side come in various sizes small, med and large. Small is sufficient enough, trust me.

• Visited June 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Soul food !!!”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Just loved it.
If you want to sample soul food it is a great place to go.
Does not look like much on the outside, neither on the inside, but it tasted great ...

• Visited October 2012
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Huge Portions and Tasty Food”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We made a special trip to Daisy Mays following my brothers recommendation, we went out to Hell's Kitchen (or is it called Clinton now?).

Arriving at an industrial looking warehouse we had to do a double check on the address. inside its a cafeteria style arrangement. You order and take your food to any available table on a plastic tray, with plastic cutlery. The food is served in polystyrene tubs, and we cleared up ourselves. A bell rings when your order is ready. It's definately not the place for a romantic encounter, unless your other half has spent time in the army or prison...

The food was great, and the portion size enormous. We had ribs, chicken, sweet potatoes, bourbon peaches and coleslaw. There was enough food left over for sandwiches the next day. This makes it good value, even though the price seems initaily large.

• Visited April 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Ribtastic”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We went due to loads of blogs stating this was the best in NY. It looks a bit tired and a little way out, walk in and it's rustic but who cares, it's a rib place. Ordered the Beef Rib and Sticky Kansas pork ribs. The portions were ENORMOUS, far too much for two people, that is why it was pretty pricey. Beef rib was sooo tender, pork was amazing too. My recommendation is one meal between two and you will come out loving it instead of having a meat coma.

• Visited May 2013