“TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE”

Brick Lane Curry House
Reserve with OpenTable
Brick Lane Curry House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,086 of 14,311 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: East Village
Cross street: Between 1st and 2nd Avenues
Transit: F,V to 2nd Ave., N,R to 8th Street and Broadway, or 6 to Astor Place
Description: Brick Lane Curry House is a British type curry house reminiscent of an East London style Indian Restaurant. Brick Lane Curry House is an authentic Indian restaurant.
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

Went to the midtown Manhattan Brick Lane curry house excited to attempt the Phall challenge, checked the website and booked twice after having no reply even though the website stated to book the challenge ahead. Arrived at the restaurant and said I'd emailed ahead for the challenge, and the waitress replied with 'Huh? We dont check any emails' After that lovely first encounter she showed us to a very snug table in the front of the restaurant, not even enough room to pull the chairs out thats how close it was to the wall. After being handed the menu I smelt something funny, and directly behind my head on a ledge there was an uncovered tealight candle which set my hair on fire. Needless to say I was extremely upset, demanded the managers details which he was EXTREMELY RELUCTANT to give and offered no compensation, just said 'I'll file a report, sorry' i was so appauled at the service in this place, and the complete ignorance for safety, who the hell puts a candle less than 30cm from someones head? This place is a joke.

1  Thank Melinda L

Reviewed November 21, 2013

We loved this restaurant!!! The food was great! The atmosphere was great. But I think the most important for us was the service!! We are not well versed in curry, and she guided us well!! She made our dinner great!! Thank and Enjoy!! I need to add that this would not be a good place for small children that may have a problem with spicy foods.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

We're enjoy the $10 lunch special at this restaurant. There is a good selection and the food is fresh. The space is smalll, so we go on a Saturday when it's not so busy.

Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

This used to be my favorite curry house. I'd say after my last two experiences I still enjoy it but I believe I'll be looking for a new Indian restaurant next time I come to NY. Last time I was here, they spilled a glass of wine down my friend's shirt and apologized verbally... Not much else, and they ruined his suit. This time there was no incident, my waitress was adorable and we had most of the restaurant to ourselves... The food just isn't as good. The samosas were incredible, I usually order veggie korma and it was alright. It wasn't mind blowing. I've had better, on at least five other occasions there. The place is adorable and I love the ambiance but the food just was kind of bland compared to what I've had there in the past. Not sure what's going on. I recommend this place to a lot of people and I've been coming for years so i was disappointed. Still good, but not as good as it used to be...

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Had enjoyable meals here 5+ yrs ago (Native New Yorker here who had his first date with current wife of 25 yrs. at Mitali on E 6 St!) but last night something was missing. Like an olive or onion or lemon w the "straight up extra dry martini" which was too vermouth-y and pieces of ice floating within. When I mentioned the garnish to the waiter, I at least expected a coupla olives on a stick from the bar..nothing. The constant water filling is oppressive, sometimes mid-bite when you have to stop eating to make room for the WAITER to refill your half empty glass, and around the table so EVERYONE has to endure this imposition. Less is more, guys. We came early, around 6 when we were closed out of Xian famous noodles for lack of seating, and were out at the absolute back table. My wife, a former manager of a Midtown restaurant and I agree that we SHOULD have been seated at the bay window in the FRONT to encourage business and walk-ins (a definite possibility on a chilly Fall Sunday evening in the E Village). Pushy on the ordering, too, trying to up-tick our order. Seasoned as we are, we ordered what WE wanted. Good garlic naan and curries and meat patty thingy the wife ordered. Rice kinda clumpy and uninspired w frozen veggies. Remember a more satisfying experience some yrs ago though still decent Indian food. (We usually now eat veggie Indian at House of Dosas in Hicksville LI NY). Get a bartender who knows their stuff please and chill out that DARNED WATER SERVER!! Reliable food and the lamb in curry was fairly tender, which is a plus. Priced high for the 'hood, though.