“Delecious”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I read the bad reviews after eating here and I am here to tell you that this restaurant is DELICIOUS!! This restaurant is so cute! The lighting is dim, which I am not a fan of, but that can easily be fixed. And there is an outdoor patio, but it was too hot to eat outside, although others were. First let me start off by saying my husband is from Naples and appreciates good Italian cuisine!! We started with 3 appetizers for the 4 of us to share, the rice balls, stuffed artichokes and octopus salad!! Each dish was wonderful.. I ordered the gnocchi which was homemade and soo good. The table also had a pasta and scallop dinner and a pasta carbonera!! Everyone enjoyed there dinner and there was not a morsel left. All in all this is a neighborhood gem. Attention is taken by all to make sure you are enjoying your dining experience! Looking forward to returning!! Well done Vespa!!!

1  Thank summerwind1957

Reviewed April 4, 2013

I had their gnocchi dish with tomato sauce, and it was decent, but nothing to rave about. I have had better gnocchi elsewhere on the UES. But if you're looking for a low-key crowd-free environment, Vespa is probably the place to be. The lights are usually quite dim, and it's not very crowded compared to other restaurants in the area.

2  Thank Daje2
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Lovely little neighborhood Italian restaurant. A bit expensive, but there is a 20 percent mon to thurs discount before 7 pm. Still, it is bland. Nothing special. Quiet mid week. Service is ok. I do not reccommend this place.

3  Thank B S
Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

At first I was way too enthusiastic about having found an Italian restaurant with an outdoor garden such a quick walk from home. My group was in a rush, and the waiter was accommodating and tried to rush things. We also ordered a bottle of wine and my water glass stayed empty after the first fill. The marinated mushrooms were just terrible, the veal was fatty and tough and the pasta dish I ordered with mozzarella and eggplant was mediocre at best. The cute patio is tempting but I doubt I'll be back.

3  Thank Drm2127
Reviewed June 22, 2012

We visited this place thinking we were going to have a nice quiet and enjoyable meal. Boy were we wrong. When we finally had a server ask us about drinks after about 20 minutes, another server came out with the bottle of wine and I asked, "We wanted a taste of this wine first, it comes by the glass and you've brought an entire bottle." Well he opened the new bottle, we tasted and didnt like it. So we ordered a different wine. It's very rare I send the wine back but this one was not very good. Finally we received a wine we liked, 10 more minutes later. We asked questions about the food, were told we could make minor substitutions, then the server (a different one again) vansihed for another 20 minutes. Then yet another server arrived, telling us there were no substitutions. Oh it just gets better. When the food eventually arrived another 30 minutes later, the duck I ordered was smothered in some sort of red sauce that was not at all tasty. I only ate it because at this point I was starving. The manager came to the table twice but really didnt seem very concerned that we were not very happy with the food or service, which was very odd because the person I was with mentioned to him before the meal, that we were interested in having a birthday event at this restaurant which would have been at least $3,000.Guess that didn't make any difference! (Yes, we were planning a real event) Needless to say, you should keep walking if you see this place. Much better on the Upper East Side. This may have a nice atmosphere, but if you want to nap, just get a massage. Must have been a night when the good staff called in sick, and, well - it was a nice night out so who can say?

3  Thank WineMeister