“Bland, went downhill, but nice atmosphere”
Review of Vespa Restaurant - CLOSED

Vespa Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
New York City, New York
“Bland, went downhill, but nice atmosphere”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Lovely little neighborhood Italian restaurant. A bit expensive, but there is a 20 percent mon to thurs discount before 7 pm. Still, it is bland. Nothing special. Quiet mid week. Service is ok. I do not reccommend this place.

• Visited February 2013
3 Thank B S

“Great little outdoor patio but the food is seriously lacking”
Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

At first I was way too enthusiastic about having found an Italian restaurant with an outdoor garden such a quick walk from home. My group was in a rush, and the waiter was accommodating and tried to rush things. We also ordered a bottle of wine and my water glass stayed empty after the first fill. The marinated mushrooms were just terrible, the veal was fatty and tough and the pasta dish I ordered with mozzarella and eggplant was mediocre at best. The cute patio is tempting but I doubt I'll be back.

3 Thank Drm2127
Rochester, New York
“Nice patio, unattentive staff.....”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

We visited this place thinking we were going to have a nice quiet and enjoyable meal. Boy were we wrong. When we finally had a server ask us about drinks after about 20 minutes, another server came out with the bottle of wine and I asked, "We wanted a taste of this wine first, it comes by the glass and you've brought an entire bottle." Well he opened the new bottle, we tasted and didnt like it. So we ordered a different wine. It's very rare I send the wine back but this one was not very good. Finally we received a wine we liked, 10 more minutes later. We asked questions about the food, were told we could make minor substitutions, then the server (a different one again) vansihed for another 20 minutes. Then yet another server arrived, telling us there were no substitutions. Oh it just gets better. When the food eventually arrived another 30 minutes later, the duck I ordered was smothered in some sort of red sauce that was not at all tasty. I only ate it because at this point I was starving. The manager came to the table twice but really didnt seem very concerned that we were not very happy with the food or service, which was very odd because the person I was with mentioned to him before the meal, that we were interested in having a birthday event at this restaurant which would have been at least $3,000.Guess that didn't make any difference! (Yes, we were planning a real event) Needless to say, you should keep walking if you see this place. Much better on the Upper East Side. This may have a nice atmosphere, but if you want to nap, just get a massage. Must have been a night when the good staff called in sick, and, well - it was a nice night out so who can say?

• Visited June 2012
3 Thank WineMeister
New York City, New York
“Cozy with an Outdoor Garden too”
Reviewed April 28, 2012

The food is quite good here and the atmosphere is charming and quaint. There is also an outdoor patio in the back which is great. Delicious Italian food that is reasonably priced for NYC.

• Visited February 2012
New York City, New York
“Once again really great”
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Being on of our neighborhood haunts, we took another couple to Vespa for a really good dinner. Like most affordable places in NYC, the seats are tight (takes some getting used to) but the intimacy was great for dinner. No specials ordered this time, but the visiting friends were both vegetarian and were easily accommodated in the selections. We had some light appetizers - cippoline onions (very good), chick pea and tapenade (not my taste but pretty good), and marinated mushrooms (also very good). We stuck with the beet+goat cheese salad and skirt steak, friends had the gnocchi. All in all, can't complain.

• Visited April 2012