“Nice patio, unattentive staff.....”
Review of Vespa Restaurant - CLOSED

Vespa Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Rochester, New York
“Nice patio, unattentive staff.....”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

We visited this place thinking we were going to have a nice quiet and enjoyable meal. Boy were we wrong. When we finally had a server ask us about drinks after about 20 minutes, another server came out with the bottle of wine and I asked, "We wanted a taste of this wine first, it comes by the glass and you've brought an entire bottle." Well he opened the new bottle, we tasted and didnt like it. So we ordered a different wine. It's very rare I send the wine back but this one was not very good. Finally we received a wine we liked, 10 more minutes later. We asked questions about the food, were told we could make minor substitutions, then the server (a different one again) vansihed for another 20 minutes. Then yet another server arrived, telling us there were no substitutions. Oh it just gets better. When the food eventually arrived another 30 minutes later, the duck I ordered was smothered in some sort of red sauce that was not at all tasty. I only ate it because at this point I was starving. The manager came to the table twice but really didnt seem very concerned that we were not very happy with the food or service, which was very odd because the person I was with mentioned to him before the meal, that we were interested in having a birthday event at this restaurant which would have been at least $3,000.Guess that didn't make any difference! (Yes, we were planning a real event) Needless to say, you should keep walking if you see this place. Much better on the Upper East Side. This may have a nice atmosphere, but if you want to nap, just get a massage. Must have been a night when the good staff called in sick, and, well - it was a nice night out so who can say?

• Visited June 2012
3 Thank WineMeister

New York City, New York
“Cozy with an Outdoor Garden too”
Reviewed April 28, 2012

The food is quite good here and the atmosphere is charming and quaint. There is also an outdoor patio in the back which is great. Delicious Italian food that is reasonably priced for NYC.

• Visited February 2012
New York City, New York
“Once again really great”
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Being on of our neighborhood haunts, we took another couple to Vespa for a really good dinner. Like most affordable places in NYC, the seats are tight (takes some getting used to) but the intimacy was great for dinner. No specials ordered this time, but the visiting friends were both vegetarian and were easily accommodated in the selections. We had some light appetizers - cippoline onions (very good), chick pea and tapenade (not my taste but pretty good), and marinated mushrooms (also very good). We stuck with the beet+goat cheese salad and skirt steak, friends had the gnocchi. All in all, can't complain.

• Visited April 2012
New York City, New York
“Superb food, quaint place to eat”
Reviewed March 9, 2012

Nestled amongst the ton of places to eat along Second Ave near 86th are some really good Italian places - not so much the homestyle Little Italy-type but the uptown restaurants with good, broad menus. Vespa was a bit of a surprise - we expected decent pasta and some standard fare but what we got was much better.

Oddly enough we did NOT have pasta, but instead opted for some tapas-style lemon cous-cous to start (fair but formidable), along with some salads. My wife's house salad (pretty basic arugula) was very good - well presented and nicely sized, and the dressing was excellent - just the right mix of seasoning and unfiltered olive oil. My beet and goat cheese salad was one of the best I've had - ripe blood orange, fennel and feta (maybe a bit less feta would have helped) but again, very well dressed.

The entree was what set the tone. My wife had the skirt steak - again, well cooked though just a tad under medium rare - but well seasoned and good mash accompaniment. I opted for the duck breast - juicy, crispy skinned, not an huge amount of fat. It was served on a very buttery smooth polenta with sugared red onions and leek hearts. The only change I would have made on this plate is to switch the baby broccoli with rabe - the bitter to offset the sweet and creamy of the rest of the dish.

Nonetheless, the prices were very good for the meal and the atmosphere was very nice.

• Visited March 2012
“Perfect!”
Reviewed March 7, 2012

Vespa is a exquisite place! The food is cooked to perfection! There pastas are mouth- watering! It is a extraordinary place! 5 stars from me!!!