“NEW YEARS EVE AND SHUN LEE WEST A GREAT COMBINATION”
Review of ShunLee West

ShunLee West
Reserve with OpenTable
ShunLee West is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5,156 of 13,826 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Cross street: Columbus Avenue
Transit: 1 train to 66th Street.
USA
“NEW YEARS EVE AND SHUN LEE WEST A GREAT COMBINATION”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

If you want a solid Cantonese meal, combined with first class service you need look no further. If you are looking for fusion, this isnt the place.
Our part of 8 headed to Shun Lee West, anticipating and getting an outstanding evening. Food, service, decor and ambiance were excellent. Their wait staff are well trained, easily handling a full dining room, which it was last night.

Scottsdale, Arizona
“Worst Chinese EVER”
Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Basic dishes that taste great other places here were just plain bad.
The only stuff we liked was the Singapore noodles and the baby eggplant. The rest was bland, poorly prepared, and plain mediocre. Even the presentation was just not special. I wish we had gone to Chinatown.
I can't believe that this is rated as a nice restaurant. Either I have lost my palate, which I sincerely doubt, or people giving this place high ratings have no idea what good Chinese food tastes like. Oh well. $450 dollars for lunch down the drain.
I am starting to wonder if reading the reviews on this site are a waste of time.
U have been warned!!!

New Jersey
“Not impressed...”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I had heard about how great this restaurant was from a friend who goes to Lincoln Center a lot. Yes, very conveniently located but I gotta tell you, not great...

We went the day after Christmas and evidently the staff was still talking about how busy they were the night before and believe me, they all looked tired. But I have to say the service was still fantastic. The gentlemen who waited on us were professional and gracious.

It was the food. I was told it wasn't inexpensive but that was okay, we were out for our big day with our family and we wanted it special.

The food was just like any other Chinese restaurant that you get by the quart and know what you're getting. Just fair food. Nothing great. The biggest disappointment was the shrimp which I had in both my dim sum and then in a rice dish. The ammonia they treat the shrimp with so that they can pack and ship it overseas was SO STRONG I could barely stomach it. This is New York, they can't get fresh shrimp? For these prices?

We were the first people seated that day and with only one other table after us, it was unthinkable that our main courses would come out room temperature. It was as if the food sat in the kitchen. Isn't one of the hallmarks of good Chinese food that it come to the table scorching hot? Nope, didn't happen. We'll try somewhere else next time.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Wonderful, albeit pricey!”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Not unlikely that you may run into a celebrity or two while dining at Shun Lee's. But, that is certainly not the reason to frequent this well known NYC Restaurant.
The decor, the food and the service all combine to make this a site worth visiting.
Virtually across the street from Lincoln Center and centrally located on the west side of mid town Manhattan, Shun Lee's is a great place to enjoy a meal of traditional Cantonese or Szechwan cuisine.

New York City, New York
“Disappointing Dim Sum”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I've been to the Shun Lee West on multiple occasions with varying degrees of success, but was never at the cafe next door. So, one night before the opera when time was limited, I decided to give it a try and do the dim sum. Big Mistake. I do realize that the Lincoln Center area is going to be more expensive and have less variety then going to a dim sum restaurant in Chinatown. But even taking that into account, my experience was disappointing. The choices were limited (fried or steamed) and the prices were high. But more importantly, the food was just not very good.

• Visited November 2012