“We Miss You, Gary!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Planet Sushi - CLOSED

Planet Sushi
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
New York City, New York
“We Miss You, Gary!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

I came here with my family twice, both times ordering the same epic sushi roll. (Drumroll)... the Gary Roll! It is looks like a sandwich, but looks can be deceiving. Instead of bread, there is delicious sticky rice with caviar on top and to fill it, they put different kinds of fish and other ingredients in there. Make sure to get a side of spicy mayo - it was delicious! The Gary Roll was named after a chef that no longer works there. The other dishes were great and classily made on wooden boats and other platters. The location is pretty good and it is and definite recommendation from me for you to go to the awesome Planet Sushi!

• Visited November 2013

New York City, New York
“Some of the best sushi on the planet”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

My favorite sushi right now is here, at Planet Sushi. It may look like any other Asian restaurant, and you might think that the food is not high class from the outside. But on the inside, the staff is welcoming and kind and the food is amazing. And actually, their best dish is not on the menu. It's called the Gary Roll, named after a chef who no longer works there. It is a triangular shaped sushi, with an unusual combination of rice and different fish. Be sure to check it out, and get a side of spicy mayo!

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
New York
“sushi.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

I went there for lunch with some friends and the food was great like always.
The price is ok.
Great service!!!

• Visited September 2013
Fernandina Beach, Florida
“Tired planet”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

The sushi is still good and reasonably priced, but Planet Sushi is looking tired. Sadly, I sat facing the 'planet' that hangs by the entry. It was peeling with white styrofoam exposed and the top was just plain covered in dust. Convenient if you live or work in the neighborhood, but definitely not worth the trip otherwise.

Visited September 2013
New York
“Bad service, mediocre food. And a food poisoning....”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

I went to this restaurant for lunch with my wife. I have been there a few times before and we went back for their reasonably priced lunch. It was 2pm and the waiter gave us the menus but no lunch menu. We knew about it so we asked for it. We also had to tell the people next table to us that there is a lunch menu and they should ask for it The main course is supposed to be served with soup and salad(it is printed in the menu). Again, the waiter playing dumb says "you want soup or salad with your main course?" We told him that we thought it was supposed to come with both. He giggled uncomfortably and said that some people prefer not to have the soup and the salad. I don't know if the restaurant is asking the staff to do that or if it was one particular waiter but this was unacceptable.
The food tasted ok. It is usually ok, nothing more. 20 minutes after I was done with the food my stomach started hurting really badly and I spent the rest of the day with terrible food poisoning.
I will not come back to this restaurant ever again. Not sure what was in my food but even just the pre-lunch experience of the waiter trying to get me to order from the expensive menu and not wanting to give me what I paid for is enough

• Visited June 2013