“Cheese Heaven in Manhattan”
Review of Artisanal Fromagerie and Bistro - CLOSED

Artisanal Fromagerie and Bistro
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 32nd Street between Park and Madison
Transit: 6, N, Q, W, R Trains to 34th Street
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We visited Artisanal for the first time on one of our regualr trips to NYC, accompanied by a New York based friend.

From the very start, our experience at Artisanal was fantastic. The service was wonderful - we were warmly welcomed and seated straight away, despite being 25 minutes early for our reservation. Our waiter was warm and friendly, and very knowledgable about both cocktails and cheese, and obviously had personal experience of the restaurants dishes and the sommalier was also helpful and prompt.

I had the oysters as a starter (delicious and sweet) and my partner had a butternut squash soup, which was good. Our friends salad was excellent. For the main course, we each opted for a steak - filet for them, hanger steak for me and my steak, which was marinaded in garlic and herbs was delicious, with my side order of mash being out of this world!

Make sure you leave room for cheese - the puddings are great, but with such a massive and well-prepared selection of good cheese (which I find to be unusual in America a lot of the time), you just have to try it. I haven't had a better cheese plate outside France.

We had a lovely time, didn't feel hurried from our seats as you often do in manhattan restaurants and would certainly recommend a visit. In fact, we liked Artisanal so much that my partner and I returned for brunch on the Sunday of our trip which was another delicious meal and the same lovely waiter. All in all, well worth a visit.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

This is now one of my favorite restaurants in NYC. I hadn't been there in years, and I just went again recently. I'm not one to go back to the same restaurant time and time again because there's so many in NYC and I want to get to try them all, but coming here again leaves me scratching my head why I've stayed away for so long. This is a classic Manhattan bistro and the emphasis is on cheese- cheese samplers, fondue, french onion soup... you get the picture. There is also a lot of non-cheese items on the menu that are just as fantastic. The service is top-notch (there is a recent review berating the service and I can't believe the reviewer is talking about the same restaurant!) from the maitre d' to the busboys. This is the type of restaurant where the waitstaff can see your facial expression and know you need something and come out of nowhere to attend to you... if your server is not right there someone else asks if they can help even if you are not their table! Someone is coming around to say "Are things alright? Is there anything you need?". If I were opening a restaurant, I would send my staff here to observe how things should be done- it's that good. This time, we didn't have much "cheesy" things- delicious french onion soup and macaroni and cheese- both amazing. I had a phenomenal steak au poivre and my wife had the steak tartare. I am not a fan of steak tartare, but my wife insists this is the best in the world and she has recurring dreams about the Artisanal steak tartare. While I would not say this is a restaurant specifically suited to children, we had two young children in tow and the staff were great with them. If I had to make one complaint, it would be the specialty cocktails were a little pricey considering how little actual liquid was in the glass, but I think this is one of NYC's better restaurants.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Your must try this place. The cheeses are phenominal. We had the fondue with bread, apples, potatoes, kielbassa and it was plenty for three of us. I had the three cheese grilled cheese sandwich. One of the best sandwiches I have ever eaten. They have a cave in back, they were having a free cheese tasting on the Sat. afternoon we were there. The decor is wonderful and we had superb service. Just loved it!!

Reviewed October 10, 2012

last minute Sunday brunch with 2 girlfriends. We went before noon - not too busy so not very noisy. Nice options - the apricot french toast was the favorite. Very good service also. We would definately go back and try dinner.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

The food is very good and the service is good but you won't be able to listen to anybody beside or in front of you. I had a salad and the snapper and it was really good, profiteroles for desert and liked everything but again, can't enjoy very much if I can't talk to anybody all evening.