“great Vietnamese food”
Review of Le Colonial

Le Colonial
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Colonial is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,271 of 13,684 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Asian, French, Vietnamese
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Lexington Ave
Transit: E to 53rd/Lexington 4, 5, 6, N, R to 59th Street
Description: Le Colonial is a truly delightful culinary experience. Like stepping into French Colonial Southeast Asia, this two-story restaurant, designed by Greg Jordan, consists of a main dining room with louvered wall panels, colorful tile floors, and vintage photos of Vietnam. Upstairs is an elegant, but lively, lounge serving a full dinner or just appetizers and cocktails. The lounge serves as an ideal setting for private parties and business dinners. Le Colonial serves an authentic Vietnamese menu with an emphasis on fresh seafood, meats, and vegetables.
new york
“great Vietnamese food”
Reviewed October 20, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

i went to this restaurant a long time ago. My friends were in from Florida and I wanted to try this restaurant again.
Te food was very good and so was the service . I am glad I came back here.

Visited August 2013

• Korean first
Austin, Texas, United States
“Pleasantly surprised, in light of some reviews”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I had not been to Le Colonial in over 15 years, so I was a bit apprehensive given some of the recent reviews that reported poor service. I have fond memories of this place from many years ago when I had frequent business in NYC. My daughter and I decided at the last minute to go to Le Colonial for a somewhat late supper (9pm). Everything about the experience was spot on. We were greeted at the door and, after shedding our coats, taken promptly to our table. The service was attentive, without being overly present. Just right.

For dinner we shared the Cha Gio (crispy spring rolls) as a starter then made a light supper out of the Bo Sate, which was a lovely sautéed beef tenderloin tossed with cubed yams and Asian green beans in a delicious sauce. We had sticky jasmine rice as a side dish, which was a good thing which which to mop up the delicious sauce from the beef dish.

I will definitely keep this place high on the list of great options for dinner in Manhattan.

• Visited October 2013
Distrito Federal, Mexico
“A good Asian Vietnamese option in the heart of NY”
Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant has been a great option for anyone looking for a different twist on Asian cuisine. All of its Vietnamese dishes are tasteful and keep inviting me to come back again.
I was surprised to read some reviews regarding the poor service. We didn't have that experience, maybe because we were lucky of the fact that the restaurant wasn't totally full (8:30 PM).
The prices seem reasonable although not cheap, but considering the location on 57th Ave. you cannot really expect cheap...

Visited October 2013
New York City, New York
“tired.....”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Wanted to love it and thanks to the wonderful Maitre D' who tried to save a horrible experience.....but.
We arrived and received a wonderful welcome from the Maitre D'.
The waiter was terrible.
I first asked if there were any dishes he recommended or were very popular...
answer: I don't know
we went ahead a picke a couple of appetizers and a couple of main courses with side dishes.
Second question to the waiter was a recommendation for a dry beer....
again I don't know....

Our food was not exciting but tired and only lukewarm.....

Again we wanted to love it but won't return

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Franckske
Bruce R, General Manager at Le Colonial, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

It was with great surprise and sadness that we discovered your comments regarding your recent experience in our French-Vietnamese iconic restaurant.

We would like very much to understand the reasons of your disappointment and use your constructive review in order to be able to satisfy you upon your next visit, as it is obvious that the points that you outlined are not acceptable, and unusual to read.
Would you accept, i would be very delighted to contact you in person to receive further information.

We pride ourselves of having a very nice Vietnamese atmosphere, with an acclaimed food quality, and friendly and professional staffs.

I can assure you that we only want to deserve your confidence again, and would be pleased to welcoming you back again at our restaurant.

Best regards,

Edgar Vaudeville
edgar@lecolonialnyc.com
New York City, New York
“HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Beautiful ambiance, professional service, and a delicious menu which has recently undergone revamping with a new outstanding chef. Upstairs Bar/ Lounge is fun for a more spirited evening and the downstairs main dining room is a peaceful and warm vibe. A definite "must."

• Visited September 2013