“Best Doughnut Ever!”

Ranked #6 of 453 Dessert in New York City
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout
Neighborhood: Lower East Side
Description: Doughnut Plant is the pioneer gourmet doughnut purveyor, making deliciously original doughnuts by hand, every day, since 1994.
Reviewed February 28, 2014

This is the place to go for the best doughnut that you will ever have in your life. I have had numerous doughnuts from here (Tres leches, sesame, carrot cake, creme brulee) and they are all fantastic. No wait is too long to get your hands on one of these. The place is extremely small so the line will look longer than it actually is. All the doughnuts are fresh and are pulled off the rack they dry on. Although the location is a little out of the way, you wont regret the trip.

Carrot Cake/ Tres leches have to be my favorite.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

I cannot do this place justice in describing how good they are. They have the most carefully crafted doughnuts I have ever eaten. Amazing flavors, and not the cheap ones. High quality and the atmosphere is awesome. I have been going here for years, each and every time I am in NYC I go visit them. Hands down the best.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

Yeah, I said, doughnuts, so what, as my buddy was hyping the place as we walked over. Looking forward to a doughnut, but these can't be anything all that special. He was right, I was wrong. Amazing stuff, totally worth a stop. The Creme Brulee and blueberry doughnuts were huge hits, and those I was with loved the carrot cake and coffee cake doughnuts as well. Strong stop.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

I got a vanilla bean donut and a crème brulee donut. Total came to $6.25. Crème brulee seemed like it was no more than 2-1/2 inch in diameter. It was tasty, but I thought these treats were a little expensive. On another occasion, I bought a coffee cake donut that was infused with espresso and marcaspone. It was ok. Not really a donut fan, but wanted to try them.

Reviewed February 13, 2014

Founded almost 20 years ago, this place has created quite a lot of buzz over the years. And, rightfully so. There are two locations, the newest in Chelsea. The unique design and quirkiness of the Chelsea location basically begs you to stay and stuff your face with delicious doughnuts and stare at the wall full of doughnut pillows.

There are plenty of delicious sounding flavors to choose from, both cake and yeast doughnuts, and rotating flavors depending on the day of the week.

You can read the rest of my review with photos here:
sprungonfood.com/2013/11/23/doughnut-plant