“Great food, friendly service!”

Do Hwa Korean Cusine
Reserve with OpenTable
Do Hwa Korean Cusine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,947 of 13,936 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Korean
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Home Style
Neighborhood: West Village
Cross street: Bedford St. and 7th Ave.
Transit: 1 to Houston St. and A,C, E, F, M, D to West 4th St.
Description: Korean home-cooking in West Village, specialties include home-made seasonal kimchi, delectable seafood pancakes, braised pork ribs, spicy squid sautes and Korean barbecue. Dine at a grill table by the flip-open windows facing Carmine Street or enjoy a cozy corner banquet table. Casual dining that will gladly accommodate large parties. Lunch plates and happy hour offerings with a full service bar where neighborhood regulars like Quentin Tarantino are sure to be found slurping down a chilled soju martini.
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I gave this restaurant a go with some friends visiting from Barcelona. I have to say that the food was good and the portion sizes were abundant. The restaurant is very hip and modern. Somewhat more of a Japanese style restaurant than Korean but still well decorated. I would have loved more side dishes with the grill option. The seadfood panckage was superb. The prices were a high but maybe standard for NYC. In Chicago, I would have paid half for what we ate that night but it was well worth it. The staff are very friendly and quite good at explaining the menu. We saved room for dessert and were extremely happy with the beignets. I would recommend this restaurant to folks wanting a fancier Korean kick.

There are newer reviews for Do Hwa Korean Cusine

Reviewed July 21, 2013

In a time long ago, I dated a Korean and learned much about Korean food from the many restaurants on several continents we visited, but most especially from her mother. It's no secret that Quentin Tarantino owns this place. The atmosphere is very nice, almost a little Japanese style nfluemced. The menu is carefully selected, offering a good choice of traditional Korean foods and some with a modern flair. I'm a sucker for the tasty plates that are laid out for you at Korean restaurants. I have my faves but am always open to new ones. These folks had both and even offered a few extras when I inquired about their faves. The kimchee was good as was the chigea and the bulgogi. Well with a visit.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

My wife and I ate at this Korean restaurant on Carmine. We had the kimchi soup and bulgogi which we found fantastic. The service was great and the atmosphere was excellent. Our bartender made incredible martinis. No complaints here.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Great appetizer list. Had the tofu, beef dumplings, buckwheat noodles avocado/sashimi salad. All were tasty. The bulgogi, chicken and shrimp all came out great using the grill. The condiments and sauces were great. High quality meat.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Last night friends invited me to Do Hwa. It would not have been my first choice but I'm glad I let them take the lead. I have passed this smart, modern looking Korean restaurant many times but never tried it. I am not unfamiliar with Korean cuisine, it just didn't interest me. I was mistaken. The food was excellent, flavorful, savory, expertly prepared and served. No complaints only kudos.
All three of us ordered different things. One friend ordered a fish pancake. Another chose a beef and vegetable dish and I ordered a cod sauteed in soy sauce and chiles. We shared the dishes and were all pleased. We washed it down with a small bottle of Korean sweet potato vodka. It was more like a wine, 20% alcohol, poured into shot glasses with a slice of cucumber. We loved it. It was light enough not to worry about the drive home, with a hint of sweetness paired off with the fresh trace of cucumber. Perfect on a hot night. To top it all off we had their gelato. Mine was green tea and it was far and away better than any green tea ice cream I have had. It had a real tea flavor, not too sweet.
When I return I'd like to try a grill dish, which one prepares oneself on a grill built into the table.
All in all, a definite winner and nice surprise.