“Nice Atmosphere, and cute alternative brunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Esperanto

Esperanto
Reserve with OpenTable
Esperanto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6,029 of 13,548 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Latin, Brazilian, Caribbean, Spanish, Cuban, South American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: East Village
Cross street: 9th Street
Transit: Esperanto is accessible by taking the L train to the 1st Ave. Station, the #6 train to the St. Marks St. Station or by taking the #9 Bus to the 9th St. stop.
Description: Hola! Esperanto is a fun, lively place to enjoy Brazilian and South American food and music in the East Village. Esperanto specializes in Latin American fusion cuisine while incorporating traditional, northeastern Brazilian dishes. In addition to our fusion dishes, we also offer live music every night.
Rochester, New York
“Nice Atmosphere, and cute alternative brunch”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Serving a different style of Brunch, for 12$ you get coffee, a brunch drink (Mimosa etc, Bloody Marys are bloody strong!) and an entree. I got the steak and eggs (how daring) but I will say this, the potato side that came with it was spiced amazingly. The steak, a 5 dollar addition, was cooked to perfections and spiced up with some very good "zing" to it. A good sized piece of steak too, not small. The drinks, 7 dollars for each additional after the first free one. Mimosa was a little weak, but the Bloody Mary's were halfway clear if you know what I mean. (STRONG) We did a walk in and waited only 10 minutes, staff was nice, bathrooms clean, and overall a pretty good value. We went on Sunday and it was not too noisy.

• Visited May 2013

“Good place”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Restaurant quite noisy but with a nice dancing show. We were 12 and most of us ordered the tuna. The opinions were different, I personally liked it (spacy!) We were a bit disapointed by the caipirinha.

Not sure we would absolutely come back there but was a good evening.

• Visited April 2013
New York City, New York
“Used to be one of my favorite spots...but service is slipping. I hope it improves.”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My family and I used Esperanto as our go to Brunch place when they visited. The atmosphere was great, food cheap & tasty, location perfect for where I live and seating was outside if weather was nice. The brunch is great and the dinner was even better. Drink were strong and well made. On my last few visits something seems to have changed. Service hasn't come with a smile, food hasn't gone down in quality but mistake have been made in orders and staff seem disorganized.
One such instance it went 20 minutes between seeing any staff come by our table. I had to get up to get pepper, ketchup and napkins. The final straw was when I went to get a cup of coffee I was yelled at. I told the woman if I didn't have to wait 20 minutes for a refill I wouldn't have to get up. I asked for the manager, none came by.
I'm not giving up on this place, but things have to change. I want the fun local joint where people are happy to be. Bring it back please.

• Visited January 2013
Aldie, Virginia
“Good place to spend a weeknight”
Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

Wednesday evening dinner at a place that didn't rush us- that was our goal and that is what we got . Got a bottle of wine. After the staff figured we were in for a long evening.., they left us alone to enjoy the appetizers( we suspect the empanadas were reheated, though )
The service was top notch

• Visited April 2013
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Great drinks,great food, great place”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

The location isn't the easiest to get to, deep in the east village, past some down and out blocks, but it's so worth the trek. The building has french windows that open onto the very interesting street (on good weather days). The food and drink are simply delicious, and a good deal for what you get (large servings). Went for brunch with friends and had yummy guava mojitos, a really good, not too sweet sangria, a fantastic salad and surprisingly good breakfast potatos...they often feature tropical ingredients, like aforementioned guava, and plantains. I've never had a bad experience here.

• Visited January 2013