“Excellent Steak”

Old Homestead Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Old Homestead Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #916 of 13,684 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Grill
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Cross street: Between 14th and 15th Streets
Transit: The A, C, E and L Subway Lines, to the 8th and 14th Street Stops
Description: Classic Gotham Steakhouse located in the ultra chic Meat Packing District, established in 1868. The restaurant maintains it's strong relationships with their butchers, allowing them to get their first pick of beef. Nothing but prime dry aged meat - always has been and always will be. Winner of the 2006 Wine Spectator Award. Lobsters ranging in sizes from 4 - 13 lbs., sushi grade tuna, sockeye salmon, Colossal crab meat and shrimp so big they are referred to as small bananas.
Hereford, United Kingdom
“Excellent Steak”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

First evening meal on our honeymoon, found The Old Homestead online, we didn't call to make a reservation we walked from our hotel to the resturant on 15th & 9th. Got to the restaurant and they were able to seat us, loved the ambience straight away with all the old pictures and corner booths. Caesar our waiter was excellent and informative.

For starter my wife had the Calamari and I had the Divers Scallops, both were cooked to perfection, my wife struggled with the quantity of calamari (so I obviously helped), the chilli dip was gorgeous.

For the main my wife had the 10oz Filet Minond cooked medium rare, and I had the 14oz Sirloin cooked medium. Both were cooked to perfection and tasted fantastic. There was a couple having a birthday and the guy had the 32oz steak, which was huge but looked excellent, and because he couldn't finish it they wrapped it for him to take away. We were both to stuffed to have desert.

The drink was pricey I stuck to water and my wife had white wine, she usually has rosé, she didn't really drink the wine so Caesar removed it from our bill. The variety of the steaks on the menu were awesome, I so wanted to try some Kobi beef but they are pricey.

In summary, at the end of the evening Caesar was very helpful telling us where he recommended visiting whilst we were on our honeymoon. The restaurant is pricey our meal was $185 but for our first meal and to have a properly cooked steak it was worth it.

• Visited July 2013

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
“Very ordinary”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Booked with my girlfriend for a dinner meal 3 weeks ago. Where do I start ?

Got assigned a table upstairs. Pretty cramped, but that was ok, didnt really mind. Nice decor. I like that early 1900's feel. However, from there it all went downhill.

We waited 10 minutes before a waiter finally came over. The chap was nice enough but semed to have a problem understanding English. Whatever.

Anyway, we ordered some drinks to start. Another 10 minutes later and we had to ask what was happening with our drinks. Another 5 minutes after that and they finally came. My beer was warm. Terrible. Another 5 minutes later when our waiter finally re-appeared, I called him over and sent the beer back. He apologised, but again, it was another 10 minute wait for my beer. Eventually after 30 minutes, I finally had a cold beer on the table. Note: it was busy, but not THAT busy. One or two tables were empty.

I suppose some 40 minutes in, we finally got to order. Empire cut of prime rib for me and salmon for my girlfriend plus broccoli and mashed potato sides. We normally order an appetizer, but we knew where things were going so we decided to avoid the appetizer and just get out as quickly as we could. There were people standing around with clip boards taking note of how much was being ordered by what tables, what tables were free etc. Really un-classy.

Needless to say we get the wrong meals delivered to our table. We get a bunch of mushrooms and 2 plates of chicken. What ??? Another 20 minutes later and we finally get our meals. I order another beer. My girlfriend orders a soda. You got it: the beer is warm. Back it goes again. My girlfriend never gets the soda.

The food itself was ok. Nothing special and certainly not worth the price. Places like Keen's totally smash Old Homestead for quality and service.

And if that wasnt enough, they'd let some guys a few tables down from us get out of hand with too much booze. They were yelling, swearing and annoying the hell out of everyone. Not one waiter or person working at Old Homestead asked them to tone the language down. Got bad enough for the couple sitting next to us to get up and leave. Note: they too had been given the wrong meals.

Avoid the Old Homestead. Just ok food and totally deplorable service. Keen's, Peter Luger's, Del Frisco etc leave it for dead.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Grant0416
New York City, New York
“Lousy beef experience”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Very good ambiance, although not good enough to raise my overall rating of this restaurant. Nice waiter, with poor listening skills.

I ordered the 10 oz filet mignon, and requested that this be cooked well done. After repeating the order to me, the order was correct, except the waiter said “and yours is medium”…and I said “no, I’d like it cooked well”.

After eating our appetizers and building up our appetite for the main course, I was looking forward to the steak. By the way, I am not typically a beef eater and it had been years since I had eaten beef. Once I got my filet mignon, I cut one piece and to my disappointment, it appeared to be cooked medium. I asked to have it taken back to the kitchen. I watched everyone else eat their steak. When the steak came back, the pink transformed more to a black. And the one small piece that I had cut was also on my plate, charred, along with a charred edge of the main filet that was previously cut. Not appetizing. I ate about half the steak and did my best to enjoy the rest of the evening.

I understand that eating a steak cooked well done does not taste as good as having it cooked with it left pink inside. I also understand that having a steak cooked only once is better than having it cooked, brought to a table to have a piece cut out of it, and then having all the same portions cooked again, leaving the cut portions overcooked, allowing what's left of the steaks juices to dry up.

I made an exception to eat beef the night I went to Old Homestead, because I expected the steak to be one of the best. They cook the beef the way they think it should be cooked. If they cannot re-heat a steak without burning it, they should cook a new steak. They only had one chance to get this one right. Over-priced when you get such poor quality.

I have eaten at more expensive restaurants that were well worth it, and I've eaten delicious beef and steak in the past. Money is better spent elsewhere.

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank sacredphi
Coventry, United Kingdom
“give it a miss...”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

my experiance was utter dissapointment overrated over priced and to top it all waiters expect huge tips for bad service, my advice is avoid this place like the plague.

• Visited September 2012
4 Thank Puccala
Charleston, South Carolina
“Just because”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

For the price - I had higher expectations that we received. The meal was very tasty and it was close to our hotel. But the service was below par for this level of restaurant.

We started with the lettuce wedge salad and then shared two entrees - filet mignon with apple smoked bacon and the crab stuff shrimp. The two together gave us a great surf and turf meal! We had no room for dessert.

Again, food was good- but the service was not the best.

• Visited May 2013