“Worse Steakhouse Experience in 30 Years! Read below”

Old Homestead Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Old Homestead Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #855 of 13,826 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Grill
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Cross street: Between 14th and 15th Streets
Transit: The A, C, E and L Subway Lines, to the 8th and 14th Street Stops
Description: Classic Gotham Steakhouse located in the ultra chic Meat Packing District, established in 1868. The restaurant maintains it's strong relationships with their butchers, allowing them to get their first pick of beef. Nothing but prime dry aged meat - always has been and always will be. Winner of the 2006 Wine Spectator Award. Lobsters ranging in sizes from 4 - 13 lbs., sushi grade tuna, sockeye salmon, Colossal crab meat and shrimp so big they are referred to as small bananas.
North Carolina Mountains, North Carolina
“Worse Steakhouse Experience in 30 Years! Read below”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

From: Harvey E. Morse
Sent: Sunday, May 5, 2013 1:14 PM
To: Harvey E. Morse
Subject: old

How many things can go wrong in one night of expensive dining? I made a reservation for seven people. I was assured I would get a private dining room. I was asked what floor I wanted and I said the first floor. My party all arrived on time. NO private dining room was available. (The previous day it was). NO first floor either. We were seated on the THIRD floor, no elevator, and with a bad knee I had to walk up. Waiter started off nice then he went downhill fast. He kept suggesting other waiters names we should ask for at other dining establishments because they were "from his home village". I wish he would have suggested a better waiter than himself for this restaurant! We had two parties at our table: a four and three. The four ordered a bottle of wine. The waiter decided he should pour it to all seven even though he was told we are two groups. Then said we need another bottle. Not wanting to make a stink, we (the four), said "OK". Next, he brought out ice cold rolls. We asked for some hot ones and he complained about them having to come from "downstairs", but if we really wanted them he would “see what he can do”. Was that because we were on the THIRD floor and the kitchen is on the first? They did come out after our appetizers and were luke warm.

I personally ordered seven shrimp. Yes they were huge and yes they were for my wife and I. Our waiter brought out the shrimp, placed it in the center of the table and then offered them to everyone! He is sharing MY shrimp with business colleagues that I am paying for! I was upset.

Then, I had ordered a 10 oz. fillet, Pittsburgh rare. I asked if I could substitute the hash brown potato with a mashed potato. His attitude sucked and once more he said he would "see what he could do". The steak arrived cold. Our waiter was engaged in what must have been deep patriotic discussion with a fellow countryman, then two had an argument and I could not get anyone's attention to return the steak, so I just sat there. FINALLY I was able to catch his eye (sorry for bothering him), and our other guests had food issues also. Cold, wrong seasoning, etc. I has taken just one tiny bite of my steak before I stopped eating it. t was done properly, but served cold. He took my steak, yelled at a water boy about I being cold (as if it was the kids fault), and off he went. Of course I had already placed potato's and other sides on my plate. He brought the same EXACT STEAK back with no sides, but now it was warm, not hot and overcooked. At this point I was just too aggravated after making a three month advance reservation as I live in North Carolina. I did not want to embarrass myself in front of our guests. If it was just my wife and I, I would have returned everything, including my wife’s dinner until all was properly served as expected.

HORRIBLE experience. Please send this waiter "Sanctum" or whatever his name is back to his homeland where he can be amongst his friends. 30 years of celebrating family events and hosting parties at this place, now down the tubes. This waiter ruined it for everyone and the front desk host couldn’t have cared less about my reservation or seating requests. Oh, let’s not forget the bill for less than an average meal came to $506 dollar bill without a tip seemed to be just fine with him and then, he was unhappy because we didn't order dessert, just coffee.

Bye Bye Old Homestead. It was nice knowing you. Hello DelFrisco’s.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank OpinionGuru

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Overrated, poor service, mediocre steaks, crappy owners”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

The owners were pricks, to be frank. As a rising finance professional on Wall St., I expected more from this steakhouse and it isn't even Top 5 in the NYC metro area.

The service was mediocre, the food was poor and the owners were quite arrogant in our opinion. Our team won't be bringing clients back to this joint any time soon.

Steaks were either under or over cooked (medium rare was extremely bloody, medium became well done)

1 Thank Chicagohoosier07
Santiago, Chile
“Mmmmm-----meat!!!”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Excellent steaks in a beautiful place, good service and great location, just a block away from Chelsea Market. The flavor on my steak was so good, I had to stop eating to take it all in... the side of garlic mashed potatoes was creamy, the perfect combination for a beautiful steak. I didn't have any starters, so I had some room for desert and the Cheesecake and Chocolate cake were incredible.. Like everywhere in America, they proclaimed their Cheesecake as " World Famous ". In this case, it should be! Good experience, I'd be glad to go back!

Wrexham, Wales, United Kingdom
“So good we went back”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

The BEST steakhouse in Manhattan. Love the decor and the waiters are so professional, friendly and helpful. The food is not cheap but well worth it. We loved it so much the first time we went, two years ago, we couldn't wait to go back. When we went to NYC this time we went to the Homestead twice.

Visited March 2013
Weston, Florida
“Good--but not great”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Had dinner at OH on Friday 4/19. Had not been to the place in over 25 years--but I wanted to give it a try, as we've hit all the other hot steakhouses in NY over the years, and we were staying close by. First the good: The place is still cool. Old NY. Service was fine. Food and drinks served nicely. Comfortable. Now the "bad": Steaks for VERY average. NY strip was tough, filet was great--I am honest, prime rib VERY fatty, onion rings greasy, tater tots mushy, creamed spinach so-so, sauteed broccoli OK. Sadly, I won't be back any time soon. Luger's, Keens, Quality, BLT, Wolfgang's are better options--especially at this price point.