“For Red Hot Meal Lovers”

Old Homestead Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Old Homestead Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #876 of 14,122 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Grill
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Cross street: Between 14th and 15th Streets
Transit: The A, C, E and L Subway Lines, to the 8th and 14th Street Stops
Description: Classic Gotham Steakhouse located in the ultra chic Meat Packing District, established in 1868. The restaurant maintains it's strong relationships with their butchers, allowing them to get their first pick of beef. Nothing but prime dry aged meat - always has been and always will be. Winner of the 2006 Wine Spectator Award. Lobsters ranging in sizes from 4 - 13 lbs., sushi grade tuna, sockeye salmon, Colossal crab meat and shrimp so big they are referred to as small bananas.
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This restaurant was a recommendation from my boss, so on a recent trip to New York, dinner here was on the cards. Steak lovers as well as aficionados of good food would not be disappointed. We started with the crab cake & yellow fin tuna sashimi to share, which was just the start to the main attraction: the steaks. My filet mignon on the bone was done to perfection. I asked for it to be cooked medium rare & it was just that. I like a nice crust on my steak & this didn't disappoint. The meat was moistly pink in the centre & accompanied with a glass of Malbec, hit the spot exactly. We also ordered sides of creamed spinach & buttermilk onion rings which to me are comfort food. I'm going out on a limb here but have to say that the onion rings are the best I've ever had. No room left for dessert though but I will definitely come back with a bigger appetite the next time - the cheescake & big chocolate cake look really scrummy!!

1  Thank Kenneth W

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I took a friend and potential business partner here and had the best food and service of my life. Hands down. Alex was our server, he's been working there for over 40 years, and may just be the best server in all of Manhattan. We started with the Crispy Calamari, Colossal Crabcake, and a Seafood Tower with Oysters, Lobster and Colossal Shrimp. We shared a bottle of Nickel & Nickel Syrah with a Bone-In Filet and a 32 oz. Gotham Rib Steak on Bone. The sides were delicious, too... but we had a hard time finishing it all - had to grab a doggie bag.

Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

I went to this place specifically for the Kobe Beef Burger they're known for from being on the Travel Channel. They already tell you ahead of time it's a $41 burger so the key is seeing if its worth it! It is a very good burger and very big! It's 20oz. The beef is excellent but compared to other burgers, I don't think it's worth quite that much. I think you're mostly paying for the size of the burger and the restaurant's fame rather than the quality of meat. I'd much rather the burger just be half the size and half the price. The most DISAPPOINTING thing about the meal is that you get served a great quality of meat like that with some regular old frozen, deep fried, fast food tator tots that you really don't even want to eat with that burger, they should be serving it with some homemade onion rings or homemade steak fries. As for the service, the staff treats everyone like you're someone important from what I can see just as far as greeting you and while taking your order but they don't check on you very much. Maybe it's because they're always packed. I would like the waitstaff to be a bit more attentive especially with the prices, my glass should never be empty and I should never have to wave you down. Just my opinion. So it's a good place to try if you have money to spend and just want to experience a place you've seen on TV but if its your last $100 you're spending, don't spend it here lol

Reviewed March 5, 2013

I saw a tv program about "burgers" and Old Homestead Steakhouse was a restaurant that was featured. I decided to try it. Unfortunately I didn't order the Kobe beef burger because I thought it was pricey, but the steak I had was fantastic. It is your typical high-end NYC restaurant. Excellent atmosphere, excellent service, good food, large bill at the end.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

The food was OK, but when entering the restaraunt it was stupid. Youareso on top of each other and the atmosphere was hectic and muddled at best.So, first impression not good.

The Lobster bisque and steak were excellent, with a side of spinach. The waiter sat over the table as soon as we had paid almost pushing us off the table!

The noise level was unbearable, you could not make yourself heard above the tables around, I am all for atmosphere but this was uncomfortable

Would not recomend it to a friend