“Greeted on the way OUT of the restaurant” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Old Homestead Steakhouse

Old Homestead Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Old Homestead Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #821 of 13,479 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Grill
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Cross street: Between 14th and 15th Streets
Transit: The A, C, E and L Subway Lines, to the 8th and 14th Street Stops
Description: Classic Gotham Steakhouse located in the ultra chic Meat Packing District, established in 1868. The restaurant maintains it's strong relationships with their butchers, allowing them to get their first pick of beef. Nothing but prime dry aged meat - always has been and always will be. Winner of the 2006 Wine Spectator Award. Lobsters ranging in sizes from 4 - 13 lbs., sushi grade tuna, sockeye salmon, Colossal crab meat and shrimp so big they are referred to as small bananas.
“Greeted on the way OUT of the restaurant”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stopped in for a late lunch, attracted by the delicious looking picture outside featuring the sliders lunch special. Upon first look it appears to be a classy, high end restaurant and it definitely tries to be so. We were disappointed in each and every staff member that we encountered from the hostess to the waiters. I have never encountered such an indifferent waitstaff before in my life, especially in a "high end" estabishment. We never saw our waiter after we placed our order. We ordered our lunch, salads, which came quickly. The presentation was good and the wine we ordered was very good, but they can't really get credit for Argentina's quality wines. The salads were small - about a cup and a half) and mainly lettuce, dry - too little dressing, and really short on the pricy toppings (goat cheese, nuts, bacon, etc) which give it the flavor and value you expect. The waiter never came to check to see how we liked our dishes and ultimately we had to find someone, another staff member, so we could get our check to leave. Finally when we were on the way out someone acknowledged us, the hostess smiled and said "thank you." Very disappointing and not worth the money.

• Visited January 2013

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Nice But Pricey”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

This is a nice restaurant serving good food but at very expensive prices and against what you would get in the UK is not really value for money.
I ate 10 oz Filet Mignon with Lobster tails at $68 which I thought was a bit steep.
In a nutshell pretentious with pretentious New Yorkers eating in it. I had to laugh at the table next to ours where the 'party leader' really overdid the ordering of champers and then swilled it back like vimto !!!

“Cozy & friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

I recently had dinner here with several friends, the service was phenomenal and the food.... Excellent. We had a short wait for others in our party, which was spent at the bar over a nice Riesling. Once we were all together we were seated. Our server was attentive without any air of pretense found in most high end steak houses in NYC which I found refreshing. The appetizers and entree didn't take long to arrive. I ordered ribeye, there was so much I couldn't finish it and I have to add the quality and taste were such that Old Homestead has become my new steak spot.

St. Petersburg, Russia
“Arrogant service, good enough food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

I have mixed feelings about that place. Yeah, the food is good, the personnel seem to be very friendly BUT our particular waiter (don't remember his name but he was Asian looking unlike the others) didnt really leave me with good opinion, in fact it was the worst waiter for my entire 2 weeks trip in US. First of all, he kind of refuse to explain what were the special deals mentioned on the door (clearly wanted us to pay more), didnt give a good advice on the menu (because as I explained I'm not friendly with US measuring systems I asked how big is 10oz steak and he answer with real arrogance on his face: 10 oz... thanks a lot!), also was on the edge of being rude (seem, like he didnt fall in love with us being their customers, well, yeah, we were dressed as normal everyday tourists and didnt order several vine bottles)... Steaks cost on average 40 dollars.I mean, yeah, it's good enough, looks very posh etc. but I would go there just once at the most. I think you can either find places with better service&food for the same price, or cheaper with similar service or may be you'll just be luckier with the waiter in this one, you decide. Btw, as about the menu, really recommend french fries to go on the side - it's one of the best Ive tried

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Breath777
New York City, New York
“Come feel like a second class citizen at the Old Homestead, NYC!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

Food was phenomenal, lets start there. However, I've never been treated quite as much like a second class citizen in my life. The staff was largely rude and impatient. On numerous occasions the waiter stopped halfway through addressing our table to go wait on another table where he clearly assumed there would be a larger tip.

I wouldn't waste my time at the Old Homestead NYC again. There are too many phenomenal steakhouses in NYC to be frustrated by such an experience. Unless you are a regular at this restaurant, go to Peter Luger's, Del Monico's, etc. Much, much better comprehensive dining experience.

• Visited December 2012