“Just what we needed - authentic dim sum in NYC!”

Golden Unicorn Restaurant
Ranked #2,028 of 13,763 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Chinese, Seafood
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Montreal
“Just what we needed - authentic dim sum in NYC!”
Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

Everyone around was Chinese, so definitely pased the authentic test. Enjoyed the food and had a blast.

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
“DONT HAVE A PRIVATE EVENT HERE”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

It's sad that I have to write this review as I have been coming here for several years for both dim sum and private dinners.

My wife and I were to get married on 10/26/12. We were in contact with Sail Zhou of the Golden Unicorn and had a meeting to discuss the event. We were told that there was no free tasting but we've eaten there several times so we put our trust in them regarding the food quality and moved forward with a $500 deposit via debit card. Before the event, Sail made a lot of promises to us regarding the food, service, open bar, and that we can bring our own champagne/wine with no corking fee.

In the beginning, we were happy to deal with Sail because of the constant communication through email and phone but that all changed.

When the day of the wedding came, we were notified by our baker that they were fighting with the restaurant regarding the delivery and storage of the cake, we found later that the restaurant had damaged the cake, the open bar was not available, the appetizers were served over an hour later than we agreed, our party was told that there was no liquor, they did not serve the champagne after several requests made by me, I was constantly being bothered regarding petty details such as chair covers, the entire party was not fed, Sail told me he counted
63 guests but tried to charge me for 90 guests, I was also charged for the open bar when guests were told no liquor was being served.

The food came out cold and was not up to par. At the end of the night, I had to go searching for Sail to get the final bill so that I could pay it. I paid the majority in cash and had to go get more money. I went to go across the street and they sent someone to follow me into the bank which I was not happy with so I decided to leave after arguing with them in the street.

When I left, I was called by my sister in law that her, her husband, their 2 children, and friend were tricked to go back into the restaurant by being told we forgot a wedding gift then told that they wanted me to come back and they had a gun. Right now I'm disputing all the debit card charges and plan on taking them to court for the remainder which was paid in cash for breach of contract and also plan on filing criminal charges for wrongful withholding. We also learned they took the majority of our wedding cake, wedding favors, cameras, guestbook, and more therefore we also plan on taking them to court for
conversion.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE FOR PRIVATE EVENTS!

I made a complaint via the BBB and plan on filing charges against them.

• Visited October 2012
7 Thank doggyDASH
London
“Normal, typical Chinese dim sum, locals love it”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Don't expect to be pandered here, it will be noisy and crowded but he food is worth it.
Freshly made dim sum and the noodles are good here.
Traditionally you stop and pick what you like and its stamped on your bill, you have to be assertive and stop the trolley to look.

My family are locals across the road and love it so thats a good recommendation in itself.

• Visited October 2012
“Dim sum = NOT typical restaurant experience”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

It seems that the negative reviews here were written mainly by people who didn't actually know what they were getting into. Dim sum dining is crowded, chaotic, kind of random, cheap and tasty. That's how it goes. The golden unicorn is a massive place designed to feed people in volume. The lines outside may be scary, but be assured that they will move quickly. Inside, it 's nothing fancy. Servers walk by with carts of every imaginable mystery dish or dumplings. Take it, if it looks good. They'll add to your ticket and you pay at the end. This is a moderately adventurous eating experience. I would not recommend if you want quiet ambiance and certainty about what particular substance you will be consuming. But for more easy going/non-diet restricted diners -- it's all in good fun.

Tomball, Texas
“Yummy Dim Sum, Great Neighborhood”
Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I went here for brunch on a Sunday. We waited a bit to get seated, then finally just sat ourselves. We had just a few different types of dumplings and buns because we were not very hungry, but what we had was delicious.