“Now, that's Italian!”

Cuisines: American, European, Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: 44 SW Ristorante & Bar is a family owned traditional Italian restaurant in the Hell’s Kitchen area of New York City.
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This restaurant has a wonderful menu offering selections from several regions of Italy. The chef is quite accommodating and they have a very courteous staff that does not rush you. If it's not on the menu, just ask. My dining companion requested the dish be substituted with whole wheat pasta, and it materialized. The daily specials are masterfully prepared. The ever-present owner is from the old country, overseeing every detail, greeting customers and supervising the staff. Makes you feel right at home from the minute you walk in. The outdoor space is on the sidewalk and great for people watching. One of the highlights of this restaurant is it’s martini bar located in the rear. And, leave room for dessert! Fresh and worth every calorie.

Carlo S, Owner at 44 Southwest Ristorante & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

I'm happy to hear how much you appreciate the authentic Italian atmosphere and food we provide here. It sounds like you enjoyed yourself from beginning to end, and that's exactly what we strive for. Thank you for the very kind recommendation, and we look forward to seeing you again any time!

All the best,

Reviewed January 6, 2013

A friend who used to live in New York recommended this restaurant to us. She said it was one of their favorites, and now I know why! Great, traditional Italian food. Very reasonably priced. My husband had spaghetti and meat-a-balls, his very favorite and said it was fantastic. I had a dish that I can't recall the name but it was a Penne pasta, with sausage, spinach, cannelini beans and great big pieces of Garlic - it was SO great. I wrote down all the ingredients and I am going to attemp to make it at home in Arizona. 44 Southwest, if you're reading this and will share the recipe that would be great!

Carlo S, Owner at 44 Southwest Ristorante & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Please send my personal thanks to your friend for recommending us to you! That's one of the biggest compliments we can receive, and I'm pleased to hear that we left you raving too. The dish you ordered was our Pasta Del Giorno. Though I can't give away our secrets here on a completely public forum, I look forward to hearing how yours comes out. Thanks for the fantastic review, and I truly hope we'll see you again soon.

Best regards,

Reviewed January 2, 2013

This was a great choice, all the staff has been really friendly and patient with our 2 years old daughter, the food came within less than 10 minutes, the fish tacos were really tasty, you could feel how fresh all the vegetables were, high quality products, beautiful margarita and the bill was not big at all, will definitely come back

Carlo S, Owner at 44 Southwest Ristorante & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

It's our pleasure to make sure the entire family enjoys themselves here, and we appreciate you bringing everyone to see us. I'm glad you were pleased with everything. Thank you for the review, and I hope we'll have the opportunity to serve you again soon!

Take care,

Reviewed December 9, 2012

There is too many good place in New York - avoid this one if you can. Food is not good, the decoration is so so - in fact it looks more charming from the outside than it really is ... on top on everything else they charged 20 % gratuity based on management discretion !!!

Go to Marseille on the other side of the street - no comparaison between the two !

Carlo S, Owner at 44 Southwest Ristorante & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2012

I apologize that you were unhappy with your visit here. We're often commended on the authenticity and flavor in our food, so I'm very disappointed that you didn't enjoy it. We do clearly state on the menu that 20% gratuity applies to groups of 5 or more, and may be added at discretion of the management. For whatever reason, this was the case for you. I apologize for any inconvenience, and that we didn't leave you with a great experience.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

The service was acceptable but the waitress rushed us. The food was very ordinary, no taste overpriced. Avoid this restaurant if you go to New-York .

Guylaine,

I'm really sorry to hear that you weren't impressed with your visit here. I never want our guests to feel rushed when they come to dine with us. The gratuity is typically only added to parties of five or more, but that doesn't mean the service should suffer. I will definitely be addressing this with our serving staff to make sure everyone receives top notch service. I apologize for disappointing you, and I hope you'll give us an opportunity to prove that we can do better, if you're ever in New York again.