“Not the Italian food I wanted. ”

44 Southwest Ristorante & Bar
Ranked #2,019 of 14,032 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, European, Italian
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: 44 SW Ristorante & Bar is a family owned traditional Italian restaurant in the Hell’s Kitchen area of New York City.
Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

Even though it was a slow night, we had to wait for our food. When it finally came, and it was a disappointment. They were out of mozzarella. The fried peppers was tasteless and the chicken was more fat and cheese then actual chicken. On top of that they put 20% gratitude on the check which they did not deserve. If you want to nice Italian food, go somewhere else!

Carlo S, Owner at 44 Southwest Ristorante & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Henric,

I truly apologize for the experience you had a couple months ago. This is not like us! It's pretty rare that we run out of anything and I'm sorry that we didn't make up for it by providing an excellent meal without the cheese. We only add an automatic gratuity for parties of five or more, but that's no excuse for poor service. I'm sorry that we didn't impress you while you were visiting, and I hope you'll give us another opportunity to give you a better representation of what we can do.

Carlo - Owner

Reviewed August 20, 2012

After a bad experience the evening before we found this place. Family run restaurant for many years. We had pasta with clams and à frutti di mare. It took a while, gut it tastend great. We highly recommend this place.

Reviewed June 22, 2012

Finally after traveling for a week straight, this meal was my first proper meal! And it was amazing. Staff we're extremely friendly, and helpful and service was fast.
Highly recommend to anyone looking for a decent place to eat..meal was About $20 each although I don't understand why they give us a price to tip them. I wasn't happy about that. I should decide how much I want to tip them.

Reviewed June 19, 2012

This is a nice restaurant on 9th ave not too far from the theater district where most food is overpriced and average. This restaurant has a nice menu with good prices. I had the Puttanesca which in my opinion was excellent. I also shared some chicken parmigiana which was pretty good but I will say I am picky about my parm so someone else might have loved it. My father had pizza which he did not care for but it is not typical NY pizza so that is why he didn't like it. Overall, I would definitely go back. Atmosphere is good except if you are seated by the bathrooms, it is a bit disturbing and awkward as they are right in the dining area.

Reviewed June 3, 2012

This is a great Italian eatery on the corner of w 44 st and 9th ave. The food was very good with a friendly staff and family working the front and in the kitchen. Locals stop for the bar and dinner. That should tell you something. We enjoyed the open to outside options with the sliding glass walls allowing you to be just off the street and at the same time have AC. The place just felt right. We highly recommend it and we will certainly return.