“This NY icon doesn't disappoint” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Four Seasons Restaurant
Ranked #729 of 13,479 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between Park and Lexington Avenues
Transit: 6 train to 51st Street E, M trains to Lexington Ave/53rd Street 4, 5, 6, N, Q, R to 59th Street / Lexington Ave
Description: The Grill Room at The Four Seasons Restaurant is truly a New York phenomenon. Attracting New Yorkers for generations, it's played host to every major social event from JFK's 45th birthday party to Manhattan's last Grammy Awards celebration. Open Monday through Friday, the Grill Room is home to the original New York "Power Lunch." At night the Grill caters to those interested in flavorful cocktails and a bite to eat within Phillip Johnson's one-of-a-kind design.
“This NY icon doesn't disappoint”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

There is so much to enjoy about the Four Seasons: a truly spectacular decor, from the large, square bar with its tubular metal sculpture hanging above, to the main dining room with its tranquil, bubbling pool in the center, but mostly the 20-foot windows with the undulating chain curtains. This is classic, old school New York dining--modern, sophisticated, calm. No conversation-squelching noise here. Waiters, yes men only, who can debone Dover sole table-side and perfectly time the arrival of each course. I think you may need to be a "certain" age to love the Four Seasons. And you've got to happily part with a hearty chunk of change. We've been for dinner in the past, but this time went for lunch. They have a "reasonable" 3 course pre fixe for $59, although we chose to order a la carte. Expect to pay about $70 or so for 2 courses at lunch. The portions, however, are ample. My husband had oysters (6) and crab cakes--lump meat and very good. I had the beet salad (one of the best I've ever had) and the Branzino, which was a special. Perfectly done fish, with lovely accompaniments, and more than I could eat. Wine by the glass was $18, about $4--$6 more than I'm used to paying, but this IS New York. The overall impression we came away with is one of being catered to in a setting of luxury with excellent food. What's not to like?

long island
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

We had dinner in the Pool Room at the Four Seasons before we went to the theatre..I had never been there before and it was a very nice experience..The staff was very attentive and our main server who took the order was absolutely great..They got the food out so we were able to make the show..We had a prix fixe menu which was vey nice appetizer, entree and dessert..Everything was great..I would definitely go there again. Wonderful night...

• Visited January 2013
“Bring in the clowns”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

Adequate food but laughable service. Although at least 10 people were involved, we had to pour our own wine. Soufflés ,ordered before the meal, arrived with dessert menus for those who had not yet ordered dessert. but that's okay because they never brought the dessert. But that's okay because they still charged for it. SAVE YOUR MONEY.

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank David B
cincinnati
“Saturday Lunch....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

Fun....Buzzy, casual, and best of all the Superb service, yummy lobster pasta, and right off the lobby for Holiday people watching.... worth the price of admission

Visited December 2012
2 Thank CincinnatiTravelmom
Los Angeles, California
“Still Good After All These Years”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

First dined here in the early 1970's and it is a New York institution. I have eaten here many times over the years and have always enjoyed it, although service can be a bit stuffy. My most recent visit was with friends with whom I saw the play Red and who weren't aware of Rothko's paintings which were commissioned by the restaurant but never hung. In any event, we dined here Thanksgiving weekend and the food was just as outstanding, as I remembered it. We dined in the pool room, which is a stunning picture of mid-century modern, yet very comfortable. The wine list is terrific (although a bit pricey, but carefully selected with outstanding vinters and vintages). Again, the waitstaff started out a bit stuffy, but warmed up through our dinner, and by the end of dinner, we really enjoyed them tremendously (I think part of the attitude is in response to many of the diners who eat there). In any event, a perfect evening at a perfect restaurant - I look forward to my next visit.

• Visited November 2012