“Great food”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 5th and 6th Avenues
Description: Located in the heart of Midtown, La Bonne Soupe is a classic French bistro serving delicious fare at reasonable prices. From its signature soupe a l"ognion to savory crepes, steaks and fondue, La Bonne Soupe features timeless bistro classics as well as daily specials and a prix fixe. Open in 1973, the restaurant has undergone a extensive renovation in the past year.
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Had a quick and light dinner on our way out of town. We were directed here by the staff at Warwick Hotel around the corner. The food were terrific and the service was timely. The dining room as a bit small, but we were not uncomfortable. We will definitely go back.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

This small packed place has the true feel of a bistro. Great value in a soup lunch which has soup, salad, dessert, bread and drink for $20. We also had omelette and hamburger with great fries. The tables turn fast so even at lunchtime we got in without a reservation. Service was fast but had to ask three times to get my coffee and it wasn't the best. Will definitely go back but won't bother with coffee. It was great to get some decent french bread for a change.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

Yes it's cramped - it's a midtown restaurant, and they are interested in maximizing space. I'm OK with that, and I would have given 5 stars, except it was so darn HOT! The radiators were pumping out the heat, we were roasting. French onion soup is very good - the soup, salad, dessert deal with a glass of wine for $20 bucks is the best value in the city. Just ask for the dressing (um sauce - it IS French) on the side. Crepes are light, with the perfect match of filling. Will the house wines win any awards? Probably not, but still very drinkable.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

Three of us had lunch. Arrived 5 minutes before noon on a Tuesday. By noon the place was full and people were lining up outside. This was a good omen and proved to be accurate. I had a smoked salmon and cream cheese crepe (loads of perfect smoked salmon), my wife chose a "French cheeseburger" of all things, (the best she ever had) and our daughter an omelette (quite excellent). Everything was superb. The service was friendly and efficient and, even though we did linger a while after the meal to catch up on our daughter's news, we were not pressured at all to get out. Definitely one of the best places for lunch in NYC. The restaurant requires a minimum tab per person of $15 and I feel they are justified as the fare is so good.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

It appeared many locals were eating here. Most of them were getting the soups so I believe the soups are probably very good. I ordered a hamburger, which was served without a bun, but with rolls on the side. The flavor of the burger and fries was good. I tried to order the creme brûlée but they were already sold out for the evening at 7 p.m. I had the chocolate mousse instead which was good. There are plenty of tables for one or two.