“Lunch visit”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 5th and 6th Avenues
Description: Located in the heart of Midtown, La Bonne Soupe is a classic French bistro serving delicious fare at reasonable prices. From its signature soupe a l"ognion to savory crepes, steaks and fondue, La Bonne Soupe features timeless bistro classics as well as daily specials and a prix fixe. Open in 1973, the restaurant has undergone a extensive renovation in the past year.
Reviewed September 19, 2013

My wife, a friend and I had lunch here. We were seated downstairs, by the front door.
A good choice of menu. My wife had a crepe, our friend soup and I had the steak sandwich. Our friend and my wife were very pleased with their meals but I was a little disappointed with mine. It wasn't the sort of sandwich I was expecting, having chopped steak in a sauce rather than one piece.
Reasonable prices for New York. Staff were polite and efficient.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Over the years we have eaten at this restaurant many times, whether it was before or after theater, visiting the city or shopping. We have always enjoyed an excellent meal from the onion soup to crepes to dessert. You can have a light meal or something more filling. The quality of food is great as is the price. At times it can get crowded but we have never had to wait to be seated. The wait staff is friendly. Once it was a special treat to sit on the small outdoor balcony. Made our meal even more special! (Simply do not understand the negative reviews!) Buon appetite!

Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

Not all restaurants in NYC are family friendly particularly French ones however this one is! After a bit of research to find a good restaurant with a convenient location we decided to try La Bonne Soup. I made a reservation for a Saturday evening at 7 for 8 diners without any problem. We were comfortable seated upstairs (would have loved to sit outside but we were too many) and had fantastic service. All of our appetizers (escargot, mussels, soup & pâté) were perfectly prepared. Prix fix menu was very reasonable and there were great kids selections. Dinners were also great and our table enjoyed salad nicoise, steak, lamb, savory crepe and some of the best fries ever. Very traditional French bistro, reasonable priced for a meal out in Manhattan. We were so full we barely made it through dessert. We will definitely go back!

1  Thank Beachfamilybum
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Quaint place to stop for dinner if you're near Central Park - we had 3 bowls of soup (2 french onion, 1 vegetable and our son had an omelet) all was excellent - the French Onion Soup was most definitely worth returning for (best I've ever had) ... the service was great/friendly and the decor cute. We ate upstairs, if it's not too warm you could try the terrace (limited seating available).

1  Thank Mom22ms
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Ate here when visiting NY to meet up with a friend I haven't seen for 4 years. Glad we listened to her recommendation!

We all had the Les Bonnes Soupes set menu; all having the French Onion soup and 2 with the chocolate mousse and one with the creme caramel.

Thought this was a fantastic meal for the price. The French Onion soup was amazing. Never had it quite like the way they didn't here, usually there is just a crouton on top of the soup with the cheese but this was as if the bowl had been lined with bread, soup poured in and then thick, melting cheese on top.

The desserts were nothing special but the soup was the best part. Also enjoyed the bread and the salad, the dressing on this was lovely.

Would definitely visit again if I was in NY!

1  Thank girltravel88