“Don't bother”

Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 5th and 6th Avenues
Description: Located in the heart of Midtown, La Bonne Soupe is a classic French bistro serving delicious fare at reasonable prices. From its signature soupe a l"ognion to savory crepes, steaks and fondue, La Bonne Soupe features timeless bistro classics as well as daily specials and a prix fixe. Open in 1973, the restaurant has undergone a extensive renovation in the past year.
St. James, NY
“Don't bother”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I am sad to have to write this review since I had heard very good things about this restaurant.
We are a family of 4. My kids are 11 and 9. We went into the city for a matinee show and stopped here first for lunch. I ordered the mushroom barley soup. My daughter didn't like the very limited kids menu offerings and wanted a ceasar salad. I asked the waitress if we could have a smaller version of the ceasar salad on the menu and she couldn't accommodate us. My soup was AWFUL. It was barely warm and so very salty. I couldn't believe how bad it was. The $12.50 "ceasar salad" consisted of lettuce in a bowl with croutons and some ceasar dressing on top.
My daughter and I left my husband and son to finish there lunch while we went to The American Girl Store. Neither my daughter or I really touched our meals. My husband told me later on, the waitress asked where we were and my husband explained how bad our food was and that lettuce croutons and some ceasar dressing does not a ceasar salad make! She never apologized or offered any recourse to our awful meal. Would never recommend..too many other fine restaurants in manhattan.

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank Michelle S

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Nassau, New Providence Island
“Great French food in midtown. Superb value.”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

If you like French cuisine at budget friendly prices, then don't pass on La Bonne Skype. Great for lunch or dinner. Will definitely be visiting again.

• Visited February 2013
East Longmeadow, Massachusetts
“Still great after almost 40 years”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I used to go here back in the 70s before we were married and went back this weekend to see if it was still the same. Although the setting seemed a bit different (had they moved to a bigger location?), the menu, good food, and reasonable prices were still there. We had lunch---I had the vegan tomato soup and a salad, he had an omelette. Everything was fresh and tasty, just as we remembered it.

• Visited February 2013
Toronto, Canada
“reliably tasty and good value”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Every time my wife and I come to NYC - we have dinner at La Bonne Soupe. The food is always good, wine is cheap, the atmosphere very relaxing, and service is efficient. This time I had a lamb burger with goat cheese - delicious! This place is popular with both New Yorkers and visitors like myself. Looking forward to a next visit!

Visited February 2013
Toronto, Canada
“NYC favourite”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Every time we come to NYC we eat a meal at La Bonne Soupe. The food is always dependably tasty, the atmosphere is relaxed and it is good value. This time I had a Croque Monsieur and my husband had the lamb burger. Both were delightful. See you next time we're in NYC!

Visited February 2013