“second visit better than the first”
Review of Tocqueville

Tocqueville
Reserve with OpenTable
Tocqueville is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #545 of 13,765 Restaurants in New York City
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: Union Square and Fifth Avenue
Transit: Union Square 4,5,6,N,Q,R,L,F,M
Bloomington, Indiana
“second visit better than the first”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Tocqueville is a fairly expensive but high quality restaurant. The ambiance is quiet and dignified. The clientele is a little older on average than the clientele at other restaurants in the neighborhood. The food is excellent. My wife started with the octopus (I had it before and it was excellent) while I had the skate sashimi (terrific). My sea base entrée was not too special but still good. Desserts are excellent. We all had cocktails. Mine was an unusually flavored mojito. Service was excellent.

• Visited December 2013
Joann M, Owner at Tocqueville, responded to this review, June 20, 2016
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your wonderful experience at Tocqueville. We appreciate and highly value your comments. We are pleased to hear the service was excellent. The entire Tocqueville staff looks forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Austin
“Half a Loaf”
Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

Pick a list of top NYC restaurants and odds are this elegant and understated little Chelsea hideaway is on it. My wife and I dined there (one "dines" at a spot like this-never just "eats") on a recent Sunday evening. Though reservations can be tough, Sundays are relatively quiet, about half full for our visit. It is tucked into a row of storefronts a few blocks from the Gotham Grill just north of the Village and just west of Union Square. Charming staff took excellent care of us; they cheerfully and patiently answered questions about a fabulous menu. The staff clearly takes pride in helping showcase this generally exquisite kitchen. The only reason I say half a loaf is my wife said her salmon tastes a bit "fishy" which was actually shocking here. My beet salad and pheasant were terrific. My wife's soufflé and my fruit tart both were excellent. So, somewhat mixed experience but not a reason to pass on this lovely dining evening.

Brooklyn, New York
“Unusually mediocre experience”
Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

I had heard such great things about this restaurant. You can't possibly imagine my disappointment at the mediocre quality of the food.

The sea urchin carbonara was remarkably bland. It clearly was not carbonara in the traditional sense. Instead,it was more like Thai noodles drowned in boringly bland cream sauce. There was so much sauce that the delicate flavor of the sea urchin was almost undetectable. The noodles came in the same box-shaped mold form they had before they were dropped into the boiling water from the rectangular receptacle they were in previously.

The pheasant was, again, bland. Eventhough it was represented in the menu as wild game, its flesh was as white as chicken meat, and had not even a hint of the exquisite gaminess of truly wild pheasant. Moreover its preparation was uneven with some parts dry and others almost raw.

The chocolate soufflé, on the other hand was delicious. It was the only dish I really enjoyed.

Service was ok, and even poor for a restaurant of this pedigree. Dishes are paraded around the restaurant before being served, and it would seem as if the restaurant did not have enough trays to bring dishes to tables.

Overall, this was a mediocre experience, unfortunately.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Jrlcnyc
Joann M, Owner at Tocqueville, responded to this review, June 24, 2016
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your dining experience at Tocqueville Restaurant. We appreciate and highly value your comments about the food. We will be sure to share this information with the rest of our staff as it helps us grow and improve. The entire Tocqueville staff looks forward to welcoming you back very soon.
New York City, New York
“A Fine Restaurant”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Tocqueville is an imposing restaurant because it has a feeling of formality about it. The ceiling is high, the table clothes are white and it is decorated in a rather severe way. I don't say this critically but just descriptively. After having a drink my dinner partner and I shared a terrine of foie gras. A nice touch was that this was split in the kitchen so we each received a plate with smooth, delicious foie gras surrounded by some candied berries, very small bits of candied melon, and a tiny poached pear. The appetizer was perfect. My companion ordered the pumpkin risotto and it was rich and delicious. My butter poached lobster was also divine. The portion was delicate. The plate consisted of 3 substantial chunks of lobster (shelled) with small pieces of potato, scallion, and chestnuts on the plate. We decided to skip dessert but we left feeling satisfied and very, very pleased with our meal.

• Visited November 2013
Joann M, Owner at Tocqueville, responded to this review, June 23, 2016
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at Tocqueville. We appreciate and highly value your comments. We are pleased to hear the butter poached lobster was divine. The entire Tocqueville staff looks forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Leland, North Carolina
“Wonderful place for a special occasion”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

I recently went to Tocqueville for a girls night out on the town. We all had the three course prix fixe dinner with the wine flight. The cost was approx 80.00. This is available only for seating before 6:30pm. The service was impeccable. They were all incredibly helpful, friendly, and responsive. The food was amazing. All of it! The chef sent us complementary appetizers and sampler desserts. Some really interesting and unusual combinations. The wine they selected to go with each course was wonderful. The ambiance was relaxing and comfortable. We all felt pampered! I highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank NCTravelfan58
Joann M, Owner at Tocqueville, responded to this review, June 20, 2016
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your wonderful experience at Tocqueville. We appreciate and highly value your comments. We are pleased to hear you all felt pampered. The entire Tocqueville staff looks forward to welcoming you back very soon.