“A must do!”

Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: 5th Ave. and Union Square W.
Transit: Take the 4, 5, 6, N, R or L subway trains to the 14th Street/Union Square stop.
Reviewed July 23, 2014

The restaurant is quaint. A renovated print shop I believe. The wine list is fabulous. The dinner menu covers all bases. I had the porkloin wrapped in prosciutto. Excellent flavor. The desserts were great. I had the Tiramisu sundae. All reasonable priced. The service was outstanding! 2-3 sips of water and it was refilled. Friendly server. She gave us tips to go in to the Village.

There are newer reviews for Union Square Cafe

Reviewed July 22, 2014

Went there with 2 friends and had a good meal. The atmosphere was great, and we had no difficulty talking and hearing each other. The service was truly outstanding. Our waiter knew the menu well, and gave us good food and wine suggestions. The pastas were superb as was the polenta. I had the wild salmon, which was just OK. It was a bit "fishy" and cooked medium well (requested medium). Unfortunately, we did not have room for desert, as the menu looked to have some of the best options in town. I will definitely come back just to try those. Price for the meal was reasonable for the area.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

This is probably my tenth time coming to the Union Square Cafe over the past decade or so. I have always wanted to like it more, especially because the waitstaff is so exceptional. However, unlike other top places like the Gotham Bar and Grill, which never misses, I have found that the USC always drops a course or part of a course, at least for me. I went twice over the past week--out of town friends wanted to go before it closes-- and it was the same old story, only worse. For one of the lunches, I started with their melon appetizer. Three pieces of melon, two fine, one hard as a rock and inedible. The overall idea was interesting, but also a little misconceived. There is a common Italian pasta dish with melon, ricotta salata, and mint. Here I guess the idea was to give a start with something light and without the pasta, but whereas ricotta salata goes well in a pasta dish here it seemed out of place--a bit of salty chalk that didn't do much with the melon. The Roman beans with pancetta and basil that followed were absolutely drowned in the fat from the pancetta. Yes, we all love pancetta, but this was just a greasy mess as were my baked eggs the next day for brunch. Again, the idea seemed attractive--eggs, tomato concasse, eggplant, and peppers with parmigiano. But what arrived was again drowned in at least an eighth of an inch of greasy fat that completely overwhelmed any of the other flavors. My friends said I should send it back, and perhaps I should have, but I soldiered on. The spaghettini siciliano we tried was excellent, though rather bland. Perhaps some pine nuts or olives would have helped, though not the ones served on the table with the bread. It's a bad sign when a table with two hungry Greeks among the company leaves the olives mostly untouched. The bread was fine however. Wine had the usual NYC absurd mark-up. I had hoped for their lemon mousse with grapefruit sorbet, which I remember being excellent. Unfortunately, it was not the season for their grapefruit sorbet, so I skipped dessert. Our superb waiter brought out a few grapefruit wedges from the kitchen in a little plate with the check. A very sweet gesture, though it unfortunately brought to mind those orange wedges after a mediocre Chinese meal, which unfortunately seemed all too fitting.

Reviewed July 17, 2014

It is my favorite restaurant in NYC. I try to visit it every time I am in town and it is always a great experience. The usually crowded space is filled with regulars and some tourists, like myself. The menu is not vast, but every dish I has ever tasted was perfect. The last time I had the bass and it was remarkable. It doesn't seem to be a kid friendly place, but children are welcome and "their burgers are the best in town", according to my 10 year old daughter (definitely a burger expert). Reservation is advised, but even if you don't have one, give it a try, I am certain you will become a fan, like myself.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

I had been wanting to eat at Union Square Cafe for some time, and was even more inclined to after reading Danny Meyer's book Setting the Table. It was a Thursday evening, I had been out having drinks downtown, and because it was late enough, I figured there would be a shot at an open table around 9-9:30pm. My friend and I lucked out - the OpenTable reservation system showed an opening at 9:30 but we arrived just before 9pm and they were happy to seat us in under 5 minutes. Already, I was impressed with how things were handled.

We sat on the main floor slightly to the back of the space under some of the interesting murals that adorn the walls. Our server was very prompt and pleasant - not rushing us as we were perusing the extensive menu and wine options.

I started out with 3 kinds of oysters - Cedar Island (RI), Glidden Point (ME) and Sister Point (WA). All were shucked expertly and were individual in taste and very refreshing. We shared everything else starting with the charred beef sirloin carpaccio topped with crispy artichokes, mushroom conserva and Parmesan. Next we had the fried green tomatoes with cool lobster, pork belly and a chilly scallion vinaigrette. For my entree, I had the crispy soft shelled crab with a spicy tomato sauce, zuccini, basil and a truly ridiculous lemon aioli.

The carpaccio was very flavorful - the charring adding that certain extra smoky flavor that kicked the dish up a notch. The fried green tomatoes were decadent due to their accompaniments. I never would have dreamed up lobster and pork belly together with them - but it worked, and it worked well! Soft shell crab is a favorite of mine, and of course such a short season, so I was thrilled to have a chance to try them here. I wrote "ridiculous" lemon aioli because aiolis are tough to master. Having attempted to make them on my own before and failing miserably, I was amazed at the full flavor and texture of this one. It was more thick than some I have had and on the plate looked like whipped butter or whipped cream but was out of this world. I would go back just to spoon that. Thank you chef!

This impromptu dinner was just so perfect - a great end to the night. The service was just what you would expect from Danny Meyer's empire - though I admit being a bit of a skeptic after reading the book - so I was happily reminded that some restauranteurs really do mean what they say and stand by their word.