“Warm & wonderful winter lunch”
Review of Union Square Cafe

Union Square Cafe
Ranked #99 of 13,754 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: 5th Ave. and Union Square W.
Transit: Take the 4, 5, 6, N, R or L subway trains to the 14th Street/Union Square stop.
Seattle, Washington
“Warm & wonderful winter lunch”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Dashing in without reservations, we were greeted warmly, our coats checked and shown to a table. The restaurant was full with happy people, enjoying lunch and each other.

The highlight of my lunch (what is seared onto my taste buds) was an appetizer of fresh sardines with capers and, hmmmm, were those currants. The sensation remains, the exact ingredients have faded.

The menu changes seasonally. We loved everything we ordered. The service was very effecient. (Other than the middle agers next to us, navigating an awkward first date, it was dandy.)

• Visited December 2013

Leawood, Kansas
“Brunch was excellent”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We were seated quickly, service was good but the food was so good! We tried the pancakes, omelets, mimosa and more. Each was served perfectly, warm and oh the bacon peanut butter was to die for with those pancakes!
Loved it!

Visited January 2014
New York, New York, United States
“Par dining”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I just got back from dinner with my dad and it was par for dining, Definitely a packed place, but I was overall underwhelmed. The service was excellent, which almost makes you forget about the average meal and pricey bill. For appetizer, my dad had the apple crisp salad, which was a great start, while I had the butternut squash soup which was up there with the best. My dad was surprised at how well his swordfish dish was, while I wasn't with the pan fried half chicken. It could have been a bit more meatier and cooked a slightly longer (little fatty as well).

We finished our meal with a hot chocolate (cold and too creamy) and a date cake with pear slices. As I said, I was a bit underwhelmed based on previous reviews and current experience. If you have other more feasible dining options in the neighborhood, then definitely look otherwise.

Visited January 2014
Hoffman Estates, Illinois
“Great location”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

food was good, been to this location 2 times after shopping in area
service at the bar is great always make you fell welcome

• Visited January 2014
Bergen, Norway
“Great, great, great”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

I visited Union Square Cafe following a recommendation from a colleague. And I am glad I did. The service is great, the food is great and the athmosphere is great. I had three appetisers; a plate of oysters, tuna crudo and beef carpaccio and then fantastic cheese for dessert.

I will pass the recommendation on to all readers, and I will visit again.

• Visited January 2014