“Steady quality all around”
Review of Union Square Cafe

Union Square Cafe
Ranked #101 of 14,311 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: 5th Ave. and Union Square W.
Transit: Take the 4, 5, 6, N, R or L subway trains to the 14th Street/Union Square stop.
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I've been to this restaurant periodically over the past 20 years and it still holds it's own vs trendy newcomers. My family and I were impressed with simple menu staples that were excellent. The salads were amazing. I had the Bibb lettuce with Gruyere cheese and Dijon dressing. Calamari was the best we ever had! Tender and cooked just right. Chicken with bread pudding plus Lamb chops with potato gratin were outstanding. Save some room for the desert. We weren't planning on having any but the desert menu tempted us. Don't miss the peanut butter sundae. I had the banana with honey vanilla ice cream, which reminded me of banana Foster. If you look at the menu online, it doesn't impress. Its a steady selection of dining basics…fish, fowl, beef, etc BUT the flavors are what makes me appreciate how a dining establishment can excel over so many years.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,129)

Reviewed December 22, 2013

Friends who travel to NYC always make it a point to eat there. It is now on my list to return to next time I am in the city. Everyone in our party loved their dishes. I highly recommend the Eggs Norway (Eggs Benedict but with salmon).

Reviewed December 15, 2013

My spouse and I dined at the Union Square Cafe (USC) for lunch on a Sunday in early October 2013. We made a reservation 28 days prior using the Open Table reservation system, and the restaurant called the day before to reconfirm our date and time. Union Square Cafe is part of the Danny Meyer restaurant empire and has been open since the mid-1980s. USC is open for lunch and dinner daily.

The restaurant space is large, occupying the street/ground level of two adjacent buildings. Because the space is comprised of two different buildings, one of the dining rooms requires you to step down a few steps to reach it. There are many tables for large parties, which is sometimes difficult to find in the city. The restrooms are tiny, very small for a space this size with so many diners, but they use what space they are given effectively. One of the dining rooms has second-level balcony seating, accessed by a narrow, steep staircase. The front of the restaurant houses a large bar where patrons eat rather than just drink, and a few small tables in the front window area. We arrived at the restaurant with our luggage, which the hostess happily stowed for us.

Service was great, and the food was classic, prepared with fresh ingredients and presented nicely. Their Sunday lunch/brunch menu featured not only breakfast items, but also lunch food, which pleased us. (We are not big egg/pancake eaters.) The restaurant sources some of its ingredients from the nearby Union Square Greenmarket (which is a must-see on Saturdays). We ordered the Carpaccio and the apple salad to start, and the squash tortellini and another pasta dish as entrees, followed by the banana tart for dessert. The restaurant serves an excellent bread basket to accompany your meal.

A meal at Union Square Café is a solid choice – good food, good service, and a pleasant atmosphere.

Reviewed December 14, 2013

Set on the bar for late lunch, the food was just excellent. The bar menu was diverse. I started with great Italian vegetables soup, moving to sliced sirloin steak with mashed potatoes which was so tasty (although it was not in the bar menu but in the regular menu, it was made at my request), all accompanied with glass of Chianti. All in all, very good meal, great atmosphere, attentive and professional service. If you arrive for dinner it's good to reserve in advance. Recommended.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

This busy, somewhat cramped restaurant has a trendy menu that pulls in a trendy crowd, heavy on the business groups, but nothing on the menu surprised and pleased me in a memorable way. Hats off to the wait staff for quick and friendly service.