“Old standby still standsout”
Review of Union Square Cafe

Union Square Cafe
Ranked #91 of 13,935 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: 5th Ave. and Union Square W.
Transit: Take the 4, 5, 6, N, R or L subway trains to the 14th Street/Union Square stop.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This Chelsea outpost has been around for many years and stills serves a decent, first class meal. We had a birthday dinner with friends. Service was skillful and the food was good--lots of fresh ingredients, and relatively reasonably priced. Deserts were a disappointment. We had a quiet table in the back of the room, which was perfect for our group who were quietly celebrating.

There are newer reviews for Union Square Cafe

Reviewed July 10, 2013

If you are a foodie, used to eating in best places in SF, NY, etc you cant beat this place for a classic NY dining experience. Not cheap but almost anything will be good and the service will be some of the best you'll get anywhere. Not cutting edge or "eclectic" just great food. Also one of the best places for wine--if you're serious ask for the sommelier and he'll blow you away. When I lived in the Village we'd come here regularly for a Martini or champagne and oysters at the bar. The owner is one of the best people in the business and this was his first and still one of his best places--also don't miss Gramercy Tavern--sit in the bar area for a quick relaxed meal or cocktail. Altho you can sometimes walk in, best to reserve if time is tight and you want to eat during main dinner hours.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Dining Room was a bit loud, but very roomy so we didn't feel like we were "cheek to cheek" with the surrounding tables. Server was a real character with loads of personality without being intrusive. After ordering and enjoying the Fried Green Tomatoes, I remembered I had wanted to try the Bibb Lettuce and Gruyere Salad. Our waitress immediately suggested I get a half portion and I am so glad I did, yummy! I followed that with the Swordfish. My friend enjoyed the Beef Carpaccio and the Halibut. We had looked forward to the Mascarpone Cheesecake but A) it's no longer offered, and B) we were just too full. Overall a quite nice dinner!

Reviewed July 4, 2013

The food and service were great. It's located in a very young and vibrant neighborhood. Great place to hang around after dinner, especially in the summer (great shopping, bars, lively). We started with pasta and other appetizers and they were all very tasty. For main dish we had more pasta, swordfish and pork chop: all were great. The wait staff was very energetic to meet our needs. The only thing I would change would be the decor, it needs updating. Great family dinner.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

As usual in any Danny Meyer restaurant, the food is always good to excellent and the service is always friendly and efficient.
We didn't like our table at first (noisy party next to us) and asked to move, no problem, we were quickly seated in a quieter area. We brought some wine and the wines service and glasses was perfect. The food itself was delicious. Really no complaints at all and for the patron who thought the chicken was bland, I disagree - I thought it was flavorful and perfectly cooked.