“Great place to celebrate”
Review of Union Square Cafe

Union Square Cafe
Ranked #96 of 13,678 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: 5th Ave. and Union Square W.
Transit: Take the 4, 5, 6, N, R or L subway trains to the 14th Street/Union Square stop.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Great place to celebrate”
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

I tried to book here some weeks in advance to book a dinner table for four to celebrate a 'certain birthday' for my dear wife. This is where she really wanted to celebrate. Nowhere else would do. My efforts were in vain as this is a very popular venue. Right up until the last day I waited anxiously for a cancellation, and finally within 3 hours of my preferred time, they emailed me to confirm the booking - phew!!! We had a great meal, with equally great table service. My wife was so happy. My only negative comment would be that the wine prices were totally disproportionate. I spent as more on wine as I did on the food for four - but heh. If you want to eat here on a Friday night, my advice is to book at least a month in advance, but you will have a great experience in a superb NY restaurant. Top Class.

2 Thank Hunter B H

Moscow, Russia
“Every dish is a hero”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Went there for lunch wih a group of colleagues and we tried a lot of different dishes. Every plate was delicious and well balanced. I can eat there everyday for the rest of my life.
If you are in the Union Square neighborhood, try this restaurant. you will not be disappointed.
food should be good always this way.
New York culinary at its best.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Very Good But Not Great”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

The food is consistently good, if not great. There's something comforting about this restaurant's ability to offer familiar favorites that are just as good five, ten, and even more years later. I applaud the owner for this. I think, however, the menu items are a little dated and aren't that creative. The polenta dish with gorgonzola was almost inedible - it had way too much cheese and too many nuts - but the rest of the menu was good. The bread could be a separate course because we ate so much of it. My small gripe: the waiter never asked why we didn't touch our side dish. If he had, I'd have told him it wasn't good. Overall, however, the experience was a good one.

Tip: if you try to book a reservation using Open Table (or something similar) and can't get in, don't despair. Call the restaurant directly or do like we did on a Saturday night at 8:00 p.m. - walk in and see if there's a table available. We got a table immediately even though our attempts to book using Open Table, weeks before the trip, were unsuccessful.

• Visited February 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Still fabulous!”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I haven't been here in about 10 years, but went for both lunch and dinner (different days) on a recent trip to NYC. USC has a slight Italian bent, but many choices to be had. My Moscow Mule cocktail was great - ginger beer, lime juice and vodka - my new favorite drink. I particularly recommend the beet salad and the trout, if they are on the menu.
The service was friendly and efficient. Love this place!

Geneva, Switzerland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good though a bit overpriced”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stopped by through our guide recommendation. For new york standards, the food is delicious and service was excellent.
Problem is that it is too pricey: for the price, the meals are too simple.
Being a french, this is great bistro food for 1star michelin price - does not worth it.