“Breaks my heart, but it's not as good as it used to be...”
Review of Union Square Cafe

Union Square Cafe
Ranked #99 of 13,823 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: 5th Ave. and Union Square W.
Transit: Take the 4, 5, 6, N, R or L subway trains to the 14th Street/Union Square stop.
Atlanta, GA
“Breaks my heart, but it's not as good as it used to be...”
Reviewed August 30, 2011

A trip to New York City is not complete without lunch at Union Square Cafe. That's what I used to believe, anyway. Unfortunately the quality has gone down. It's just "OK." And I don't want to spend $50 on an "OK" lunch.

I had the tuna steak at the server's suggestion ($32). It came out cold, which the girl said was the way it was "supposed to be." (maybe I'm crazy?) Anyway, she took it back and the same piece of meat was re-cooked and it still wasn't hot. I understand I got it on the rare side, but I know that plate was just sitting up there somewhere. And I was disappointed they just schlepped it back on the same plate.

I got the chocolate bread pudding with rasberry swirl. It was scrumptious. It was also $9 and I could've eaten two or three of them, as I was still a little hungry after the entree.

All in all, I'd come for dessert again, but not lunch. It ends up being over-priced when things aren't done to perfection and service is less-than-impeccable. :/

Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
“Great food, excellent service,nice ambience”
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Our daughter made reservations for us to have a nice dinner during our visit to NYC. Enjoyed our dinner, our waiter was very attentive, all our main courses were delicious (I had the crab stuffed quail). Loved the warm and inviting ambience.The desserts were fabulous (I ordered the chocolate brioche pudding,my husband and son had the blueberry pie). Such a great restaurant to have a relaxing dinner with family and just enjoy a great meal in a warm atmosphere.

New York City, New York
“They are "phoning" it in....”
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Lovely room, alittle loud, very nice staff, however, entrees seem to be a little tired, main course did not seem too invested. The best were the olives served upon sitting !!! Hmmm, if I were to return, I would focus on the pasta and/or appetizers, again, entrees tasted very TIRED. After waiting in line for about 10 minutes to use the only single stall men's facility, my husband was astonished at limited facilities provided given the size of restaurant and people served. As native NYorkers, we were overall, surprised and disappointed with our experience.

4 Thank aimee p
NYC
“Always Reliable”
Reviewed August 11, 2011

I can always depend on a good meal and attentive service here. Great location, food and staff.

Belo Horizonte, MG
“One of my prefered restaurants in Ny!”
Reviewed August 4, 2011

This loved restaurant has creative contemporary cuisine,informal atmosphere , friendly and efficient service.We always repeat this place!

• Visited March 2011