“A Port before the Storm.”
Review of Blue Hill

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Greenwich Village
Cross street: 6th Avenue and MacDougal
Transit: A,C,E,B,D,F,V at West 4th Street Stop.
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We enjoyed this restaurant before the great storm of 2012, literally two days before so I do not know how they fared in the storm but I do know that we fared well here. The restaurant is smallish which is perfectly fine with me. If you enjoy great service then this is the place to go. Very attentive and accommodating. I had the Duck Pate and the Stone Barns Berkshire Pig. While the portions for the Pig were small, the flavor was huge. The Chef doubled my Pate order as I was jones'n for pate. Our dessert was wonderful. As we left we noticed that a another famous chef was dining there - name I cannot remember - so this must be a chef's type of place also.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

Blue Hill is a nice and well maintained restaurant in Washington Place, right next to Washington Square. After days of noisy and smelly places, I really needed a more intimate and qualitative place where to eat and dialogue with my beloved one.
I found a table at 10.30pm calling two days before. But I saw that reservation can go later than 10.30pm as I saw people coming in even at 11.30pm.
The service is very competent, welcoming but maintaining an educated distance. The menu is not long, or at least not as long as their wine list. Food is supposed to be supplied directly from their farm, where the business originally started. The presentation tends to be sophisticated and European sized. The quality of the vegetables is very high. The meat I tried was a bit overcooked and therefore harder than what I would have expected. But overall, the food was very good. The nose found peace in this un-smelly, clean and well run restaurant. The soft lights and the low noise policy added this place in my personal list "I want more".

Reviewed October 3, 2012

We treat ourselves to Blue Hill for special occasions--but the restaurant makes every day a special occasion. This latest visit was no different; it was a warm early fall evening for our short walk to our favorite "neighborhood" place to celebrate our anniversary. By chance we were seated next to a young couple celebrating their first anniversary (we could tell since the tables are close together). But this closeness doesn't intrude, unless one were discussing major financial plans or having a "discussion". Located in the basement of a brownstone, the restaurant is a short walk from Washington Square Park and close to subways. The calm, comfortable decor is relaxing, whether you are with a big group of just two people. All the better to focus on the wonderful food and service. This time we both had the fanastic Morning Egg--strange sounding but highly addictive, with an incredible medley of flavors--fresh crisp vegies, crisp yummy bacon, a broth to die for--that made me want to ask "for more please". The Raven and Boar pig was just right as a main course--different presentations of pork with delish potatoes. Everything you try here is fantastic and the servers clearly know their business and love working here. Friendly helpful service and willingness to both explain and rcommend the different dishes, together with the finely orchestrated teamwork of all staff make it easy to just relax and enjoy. The wine list is great and the recommendation for the pinot noir was spot-on.
Pricey yes, but soooo worth it.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

This was my first visit to Blue Hill, though I'm a regular visitor to their Westchester outpost, Blue Hill at Stone Barns. The NYC restaurant, located in a mainly residential street in the West Village, is an elegant, subdued space. Tables are close to one another, making confidential conversations a little difficult. The quality of service is high, with knowledgeable and welcoming staff.

The food is also of a high standard and the emphasis is on fresh, traceable ingredients. I had an appetizer of pasta with fresh chanterelle mushrooms: perfectly cooked. For my entree, I had Raven & Boar pig - a selection of different cuts served with blue potatoes. Delicious.

For two people, three courses, a glass of wine each (no coffees) came to approx $200. Not unusual in NYC, and reasonable value for cooking of this quality.

1  Thank MJMH
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I cannot express enough how impressed I was with this place. My partner and I went here for our anniversary and we were just blown away by the quality of the food and the service. I live in the West Village and this place is just around the corner. However, if you're visiting from overseas I highly recommend coming here for the experience. The restaurant is tucked away in the west village neighborhood. Just divine!