“Very romantic setting”

One if by Land, Two if by Sea
Reserve with OpenTable
One if by Land, Two if by Sea is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #839 of 13,826 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, French, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: West Village
Cross street: b/w 7th Ave. and West 4th
Transit: 1 at Christopher Street/Sheridan Square. A, B, C, D, E, F, M at West 4th. See our website for detailed directions.
London, United Kingdom
“Very romantic setting”
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I took my girlfriend here for a romantic dinner out after reading a recommendation online. We were not disappointed - it is a really cute setting, on a quiet side-street in the Village. The venue itself is quiet without being "dead", and the piano player was a nice addition to the relaxed atmosphere. The chandeliers and the artwork added a lovely feel to the space, and the food was also good. The service, led by our waiter, Moon, was top-notch and all in all a very pleasant experience. I would definitely recommend this to anyone wanting to have a quiet, romantic evening.

• Visited March 2014

“Great Sunday brunch in the village.”
Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

So as part of our regular February anniversary weekend in NYC (our 30th this year) we remembered to take along a gift certificate we had been given the year before to One if By Land, Two if by Sea. After checking out the menu online we decided to try their Sunday "Jazz Brunch". The place is quite nice. It's located in one of the old colonial era buildings down in the village and the jazz duo (piano & trumpet) created a very nice ambiance. The service was excellent. Our waiter was a top shelf young man who clearly took his job very seriously. They get high marks for the food as well. I had the sausage and biscuits and my wife had the French toast. Both were very good, but the bacon was amazing. All in all a very nice location and very good offering for brunch. I'm not sure we'd do dinner there. The menu may be just a little too off the chart for our aging pallets but we'd definitely go back for brunch. That said our guess is that they are quite good at any time.

Visited February 2014
St. Andrews, United Kingdom
“Great place for Lunch or Dinner.”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Several people have mentioned the ambiance here. It should not be understated. The restaurant really is very nice. The food while very good cannot keep up with the ambiance but I thoroughly enjoyed the visit all the same. It is obviously a very popular place to go as it always seems pretty full. Lovely spot. I will be back.

• Visited April 2013
New York City, New York
“Romantic Eatery in the Village”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

OIBL has been around for many years and is a treasured restaurant in Greenwich Village. It's truly an "adult" restaurant, meaning that you can have a conversation without having to shout at each other or over blaring music. There is a piano player in the bar area and during the year-end holiday season, the place is magical with lights all over. It is on the pricey side, but the pre-fixe 3-course dinner is well worth it. Their specialty is an individual Beef Wellington and it's cooked to perfection! My husband and I have been here many times and never have been disappointed. I highly recommend this restaurant. BTW, if you have a special bottle of wine you want to bring that's not on their wine list, you can and pay a very reasonable corkage fee.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Linda F
Hawthorne, New Jersey, USA
“If ambiance is top of the list then this is the place ”
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

I heard so much about this place I took my significant other for his birthday. The restaurant is absolutely beautiful. Many candles flickering, tasteful Colonial American decor; just beautiful.

Most of the food was good, although I found my appetizer a bit bland, the Papardelle, but this is just a matter of taste. Everything else was delicious. The beef Wellington was cooked to perfection and the fried gnocchi were excellent.

All in all had a very nice experience. Thanks to waiter James for all his help describing the food and answering our questions.