“I hate to say this but.....”

One if by Land, Two if by Sea
Reserve with OpenTable
One if by Land, Two if by Sea is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #968 of 14,216 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, French, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: West Village
Cross street: b/w 7th Ave. and West 4th
Transit: 1 at Christopher Street/Sheridan Square. A, B, C, D, E, F, M at West 4th. See our website for detailed directions.
Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

We recently were at the restaurant, a group of four only because they gave me a gift coupon to make up for the terrible meal we had there last year when I brought a group of 8 for brunch. I love the place and the manager but the chef has to go! The service sucked both times. The food portions were so small. It would be OK if the taste was outstanding but not even close! I think the restaurant is struggling but cannot get out of a hole, which is why they are offering discounts until September. The restaurant was great 15 years ago since I visited many times in the past. I do not understand how other viewers give it such good ratings. Trust me, save your money and get 2 meals elsewhere.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Very disappointing meal. Not particularly romantic. The decor feels like a 1970s motor lodge. The food is exceedingly bland with little to no flavor. My lobster was tepid. The lobster bisque tasted like watered down Campbell's. Dessert was inedible. At $90 for three courses: that's a $50 entree, a $20 starter and a $10 dessert if you broke it down. You better deliver at these prices. Our server so did not want to be there. You delivered our petit four ganache written "Happy Anniversary" plate like it was the most painful part of your day. I had to go out and buy a sandwich afterwards because I was hungry. "Tired" describes this experience best. The best part of the meal was the amuse bouche: potato leek soup.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is Aaron Burr's carriage house remodeled into a restaurant. It's a staple of New York & I had always wanted to go. We booked the restaurant online and I mentioned in my comments that isn't was our 10-year wedding anniversary. The maitre'd told us she chose a nice table for 2 in the corner. It did not disappoint: we had a view of the whole room & sat catty corner from each other instead of across from each other, which was pleasantly unexpected. Service was impeccable and the food was delicious. There are only 2 menus available: a 3-course prix fixe or a 7-course chef tasting menu with an optional wine pairing for an additional charge. We chose the prix fixe menu (this had more flexibility as you could choose any appetizer, entree or dessert as opposed to having no choice for the tasting menu and we both would have had to order it). Everything cane out promptly. I had the lobster bisque, braised short ribs and Meyer lemon soufflé. I cleaned my plate with each course! They even brought a plate with petit fours that said "Happy Anniversery" (yes, it was misspelled) in ganache!
All in all it was a divine experience!

1  Thank Spinmommie
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

This place it's a little bit dificult to find out.
Reservations recomended.
I had a dinner really above average.
Creative dishes , very tastefull.
The wine list hás cost/benefit options.
Good food , romantic place, worths the visit for sure!
One low point , you have to find a taxi by yourself , which it 's not an easy task , specially if it's snowing.
I stood by the snow with wife, mother in law and daughter without any assistance.
What's the big deal make a phone call for a cab?

Reviewed February 21, 2013

This is a restaurant which appears to be resting on its reputation, we have visited many restaurants all over the world and I think we could have gone here on the wrong night 19th Feb 2013. The most welcoming person was the barman who obviously knows his business very well, the maitre d was very relaxed in her approach and appeared pleased to dispatch people upstairs to a very cold eating area which was a very bazaar approach as the ground floor where there was a great atmosphere was empty. The wine list has a German wine in the Italian section

Thankfully the Chef was on good form

If you are charging high values for the evening you simply have to deliver every night